SIU 150: A foreword from Chancellor Dunn

Isabel Miller | @isabelmillermedia

SIU Interm Chancellor John M. Dunn gives his opening remarks Feb. 4, 2019 inside the Student Center Auditorium during the Black History Month Kickoff event.

By John M. Dunn, SIU Interim Chancellor

Members of the Saluki community,

This year marks the university’s 150th anniversary, and we have a lot to celebrate. We’re kicking off the year with our annual Day of Giving, a fitting launch because our proud history is so tied to our alumni, donors and community.

Throughout the year, we’ll feature 150th-focused events, historical information and more. I invite everyone to join the celebration, whether you’re a student, current or former member of the faculty or staff, alumnus, a special visitor or a member of the broader community.

Here’s a sneak peek at the three themes – focusing on the past, present and future – that we’ll be reflecting on during the year.

Saluki TRADITION

SIU has a distinguished history that demonstrates its determination and resilience. This year, we’ll remember some of the great people and events contributing to SIU’s success since its founding in 1869. This includes notable firsts, accomplished faculty and staff members and our incredible alumni.

The yearlong celebration starts this spring and includes the launch of a new book about SIU’s history. Titled Southern Illinois University at 150 Years: Growth, Accomplishments, and Challenges, the book is edited by John S. Jackson and includes chapters by many people affiliated with the university.

Saluki PRIDE

After 150 years, SIU is a proud, strong university dedicated to experiential education, innovation, and engagement with our local and global communities. We are a top-tier research institution, and our faculty and students continue to contribute to solutions for some of the world’s most pressing problems.

Throughout the year, we will honor the current accomplishments of our students, faculty and staff. In addition, we’ll continue to highlight interesting and groundbreaking research and creative activities and recognize faculty and staff who go above and beyond for our students.

Saluki PROMISE

Our story is far from complete. SIU looks forward to a promising future that will build on its traditions and strengths. As we mark this sesquicentennial, we will look to the future with optimism and a commitment to having a positive future impact on our students, alumni and community.

I am particularly proud of the values reflected in the SIU mission, and I believe those values will help Salukis stand as leaders in the future. We have a strong community of friends and donors who believe in this promise and will help lift SIU to new heights.

Join me throughout the year as SIU looks toward this bright future. Together, we can show the world that SIU is full of tradition, pride and promise.

John M. Dunn
Interim Chancellor
Southern Illinois University