Off campus housing provides many options

By Charinder Thompson

Every year a portion of SIU students is faced with the challenge of finding a suitable off-campus residence.

In Carbondale there are different ranges of apartments located near campus. There is a wide variety of privately owned apartments, apartment complexes and studios.

The Pointe at SIU is located on 900 E Park Street. The Pointe itself is a company based out of St. Louis, that has different locations at the University of Illinois and Eastern Illinois University.

It is a student managed apartment complex that offers fully furnished two and three bedroom apartments. It is currently $529 per person per month for a three bedroom and $599 per person per month for a two bedroom. Each bedroom in these apartments has an in-suite bathroom.

Quan Fields, a resident of the Pointe said it is probably one of the best deals for apartments for students.

“It’s all-inclusive and they provide a lot for the residents that stay here,” he said.

Along with the other accommodations, each apartment is equipped with updates to the kitchen appliances, a private balcony and a washer and dryer unit. There is a computer lab, pool and fitness area available to residents.

The apartment complex also offers a shuttle service that makes frequent stops on campus and places around Carbondale. Residents are given a parking sticker for their apartment and two guest parking tags for visitors.

In the fall of 2011, Campus Habitat underwent foreclosure and the deed to its property was signed over to two banks for their rental properties. Real estate developers had an idea to renovate and rename the apartment.

With its new name Ashburn Court, located at 511 S. Graham Avenue, it has been remodeled. This particular apartment complex offers consumers a wide range of leasing options. From studios to four bedroom and two bathroom options, prices for apartments range from $450 to $1300.

Some of the renovations included installing private bathrooms along with modern kitchen appliances. Laundry faculties are on site and there is also 24-hour emergency maintenance. Rent includes all utilities expect for cable and internet. Ashburn court is pet friendly and is within walking distance to main campus.

Currently remodeled and located next to campus, Saluki Apartments is conveniently located on 400 E College Street. They offer free Wi-Fi and flexible leases that can range between five and 12 months while they are available. Utilities are included in rent except electric. Each apartment comes with air-conditioning units along with personal kitchens. This is also one of the only studio complexes that offer bathrooms with bathtubs.

Alleman Properties is a privately owned property development business that offers homes and apartments located in close proximity to the university’s main campus. The primary leasing office is at 310 E. Main Street.

Most apartments come with washers and dryers and kitchen appliances. Residents have to furnish apartments and pay all utilities expect sewer. Properties also include a flat screen TV in all locations and free Wi-Fi in certain locations. No dogs are allowed in any locations but cats can be approved. Locations can range from $300 to $600 per person depending on the type of rental you have.

Located at 500 Saluki Blvd, The Reserves is an apartment complex with two, three and four bedroom apartments. Each bedroom is furnished with an in-suite bathroom, bed, dresser and desk. All utilities are included expect for electric. Their rates are $469 for a four bedroom per month. Three bedrooms are rated at $529 per month and $610 per month for a two bedroom.

The Reserves offer a computer lab with free printing, an exercise room, a pool and grills located around the complex. They have a no pet policy but free parking without towing for guests.

Aspen Court apartments are located at 1101 E. Grand Avenue, and have been around since the early 1970s on other campuses such as Western Illinois University. The apartment complex underwent construction and each bedroom has an in-suite bathroom.

Aspen court provides many amenities for their residents including a pool, tanning salon area and computer lab. Although tenants must pay for utilities, cable and internet is included in their rent.

Unlike some of its local competitors, these apartments do not come with a furnishing option, but do supply tenants with all appliances.

Jenna Macaluso, leasing manager at Aspen court said the complex has a wide range of tenants including students of the university, faculty and some families.

“We are close to campus. We also have security, making a safer environment. Cable and Internet is also included. With all the amenities you would be paying just as much somewhere else,” she said.

Macaluso said there are a lot of people in a small area and it gives one a sense of community. Aspen is a lot more private, but you still have a good chance of having some friends around you.

Although each property is different, Carbondale has plenty to offer when it comes to off-campus housing. Whether you choose an apartment complex or independently owned property, it is always best to address issues such as these in your decision making process.

Kayli Plotner, Kyle Sutton, Desiree Young, Brittany Strong, and Brandon Willingham contributed to this story.