Podcasts can broaden students’ horizons

By Dylan Frost

There is a whole universe of podcasts available for someone burnt out on music or someone looking to stimulate his or her imagination, yet many people do not know where to access podcasts or even what they are.

Podcasts are essentially downloadable radio programs that are available online. They can usually be downloaded from iTunes or apps created by the podcaster. Podcasts are perfect to plug through the headphones during mundane tasks: grocery shopping, doing the household chores or exercising.

Listed below are some of the most popular and esteemed podcasts, based on topics that would be intriguing to college students – some are informative; others are funny; and some are just intriguing listens.

“This American Life” 

The golden standard of podcasts, “This American Life” is a journalistic radio program that broadcasts out of Chicago and is offered weekly as a podcast. The award-winning program hosted by Ira Glass delivers first-person narratives and investigative stories that are often endearing or shocking in presentation.

In a two-part series titled “Harper High School,” investigators spent five months at the title school, located on south side of Chicago. The school was plagued by gun violence and 29 students were shot in a 13-month period. Investigators get an in-depth perspective of how students at Harper High School deal with the gang wars impacting the community. Glass shares a story about a boy who accidentally shot and killed his 14-year-old brother and how the boy now copes with the tragedy.

“This American Life” is high quality and inspiring. It is perfect for someone interested in journalistic reporting and who has an interest in research.

“Radiolab” 

Have you ever wondered what species of animal can see the greatest spectrum of color? Is it possible to live in a world without numbers? Hosts Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich use their curiosity to uncover some astonishing facts about the natural workings of the world. Using interesting stories and scientific data to support their claims, “Radiolab” is one of the most respected podcasts with a following of 2-million listeners and even winning a Peabody Award in 2010. “Radiolab” is the perfect listen for someone with a passionate interest in science or philosophy.

“WTF with Marc Maron” 

One of the godfathers of podcasting, comedian Marc Maron has situated himself within a small universe through his podcast, which features a variety of celebrities and entertainers. Coming from the angle of a comedian in the midst of a crisis (Maron struggled to find work and dealt with drug problems before launching the podcast), Maron has a raw, yet candid approach to interviewing, which often leads to in-depth and emotional conversations.

Listeners of “WTF” are familiar with the Louis C.K. episode where Louie got choked up for a moment when talking about his daughters – a side of Louie most people are not accustomed to seeing. Other guests who have appeared on “WTF” include Larry King, Johnny Knoxville, Thom Yorke, Seth Rogen, Elizabeth Banks and CM Punk across a 400-episode span.

“Harmontown” 

Dan Harmon, the creator of NBC’s “Community,” preaches a hilariously brilliant tangent-filled gospel to a group of nerds in the back of a comic book store. Harmon serves as the mayor in a fictional town with his comptroller Jeff Davis (“Whose Line is it Anyway?”) as they seek to establish the ideal society. Harmon’s unscripted rants are always a treasure to anticipate each week because there is no telling what direction they are going to go. Often crude and immature, Harmontown is one of the funniest podcasts available. Plus, they play a drunken game of Dungeons and Dragons at the end of each episode.

“The BS Report with Bill Simmons” 

Sports journalist Bill Simmons uses the podcasting platform to further address his geeked-out sports predictions, criticisms and evaluations that might have been left out in his Grantland column. Simmons’ podcast is best whenever Jalen Rose and he are engaging in NBA talk – Simmons using his extensive knowledge of the game (after all, he did write the 736-page “The Book of Basketball”) and Rose telling stories from his days playing in the league. However, there is still plenty of compelling NFL and MLB talk with fellow Grantland and ESPN columnists.

Then there are the interviews with world-class athletes like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Mike Tyson. Schwarzenegger shared stories about his life-long obsession with bodybuilding, and Tyson opened up about his self-destructive behavior and the demons that possessed him during his boxing career – both stories were very powerful.

“Fantasy Focus Football” 

Fantasy football owners are always looking for an edge over their friends and coworkers, and ESPN’s “Fantasy Focus Football” is the guiding light. Football analysts preview all 16 games each week, offering player analysis, injury reports and individual team stats. Each team’s strengths and weaknesses are dissected, which is good if you are losing your mind trying to decide which running back or receiver to start.

The podcast publishes four to five episodes a week for the super obsessive fantasy owner researching every nook and cranny of the game. What are you waiting for? Go listen and become the best fantasy owner you can be! A year’s worth of bragging rights is on the line!

Dylan Frost can be reached at 

[email protected] 

or 563-3311 ext. 254.