Hill named QB coach, Oboyle promoted

Hill named QB coach, Oboyle promoted

By Kayli Plotner

Former Saluki Nick Hill is the next quarterback coach for SIU. Hill played for SIU from 2005-2007 and was formerly the head coach at Carbondale Community High School.

While at SIU Hill was named to the Gateway Conference All-Academic first team. He was also ranked seventh in the nation in passing efficiency with a 156.7 rating. Hill and the Salukis lost in the NCAA Division I Football Championship semi-final in 2007 to current Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco and the Blue Hens of the University of Delaware. After college, Hill moved on to play for four teams in the Arena Football League and two NFL teams where he was the backup behind Kyle Orton for the Chicago Bears and Aaron Rodgers for the Green Bay Packers.

Hill coached Carbondale Community High School to a 5-5 record last season. The Terriers fell to Highland High School 34-20 in the IHSA Football Playoffs.

In an October 18, 2013 issue of the Daily Egyptian, Hill said this area is where he knew he would always end up.

“I’m from southern Illinois. I love southern Illinois,” Hill said. “I’ve lived all over the country playing professional football and I knew eventually I wanted to get back here.”

University of Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill was Hill’s coach during his time at SIU. Kill said Hill was a great leader, a great football player and a great person.

Kill said he doesn’t think there’s any doubt that Hill can relate to his high school players and knows he has a wealth of knowledge about the game.

“He studied the game when he played the game,” Kill said. “He could rally people around him.”

The Salukis have had to make a few coaching changed this off-season, along with Hill, former offensive line coach Bill O’Boyle was promoted from offensive line coach to offensive coordinator. In November the NCAA released a 29-page public infractions report  sanctioning Chadron State College for a case involving rule violations against former head coach O’Boyle.

According to the NCAA report, the 2011 case includes the provision of extra benefits to student-athletes, maintenance of three private bank accounts and unethical conduct by providing false or misleading information during interviews. A football student-athlete was also allowed to compete while ineligible.