Saluki Volleyball drops tenth straight game to Illinois State

By Adam Warfel, Sports Reporter

SIU (4-18, 0-9 MVC) fell to Illinois State (17-5, 9-1 MVC) in three sets 25-16, 25-20, 25-8.

Southern was still seeking their first conference win of the season.

The matchup marked the 88th meeting between the two teams.

Illinois State currently leads in the series 74-12-1 which includes 30-4 record at home for the Redbirds.

Illinois State has held opponents to a .156 hitting percentage, which is the 17th lowest in the nation.

In the opening set, a kill by junior opposite hitter Emma Baalman and a block by senior middle blocker Patience Brown pushed the Salukis ahead 4-2.

Brown finished with a team high of four blocks.

A 3-0 scoring run put the Redbirds up 7-5 with three attack errors by SIU.

A kill by sophomore setter/hitter Rachel Maguire knotted the score back up for the Dawgs at 9-9.

Maguire finished with four kills and five digs.

A 5-0 scoring run by the Redbirds pushed the lead back out for Illinois State 14-9.

An attack error on Illinois State ended the run for the Redbirds as Southern pulled back within three at 14-11.

Another 7-0 scoring run by Illinois State pushed their lead back out to 22-12 led by kills from senior opposite hitter Lexi Varga.

Varga finished with 11 kills and five kills.

An attack error on Illinois State and a block by junior setter Alayna Martin pulled Southern within eight 22-14.

A kill by the Redbirds ended the first set with Illinois State winning 25-16.

A 4-0 scoring run by the Salukis in the second set with blocks by freshman outside hitter Kat Wagner and Brown pushed the SIU lead to 7-2.

A kill and an ace by Kat Wagner sparked a 3-0 scoring run by Southern stretching their lead to 11-4.

A 5-0 scoring run by Illinois State pulled them closer to the Dawgs 12-10.

A kill by junior opposite hitter Emma Baalman kept the Salukis lead at three putting them ahead 16-13.

Baalman finished with five kills.

A 3-0 scoring run by Illinois State knotted up the score at 16-16.

SIU and Illinois State continued to push the score back and forth but a 8-0 scoring run by the Redbirds finished the second set with a final score of 25-20.

Two kills from Illinois State in the third set pushed them out to an early lead 6-4.

Attack errors by the Dawgs allowed a 5-0 scoring run by the Redbirds extended their lead to 12-5.

After multiple scoring runs by Illinois State the Redbirds closed out the third set 25-8.

The Salukis are still searching for their first conference win.

The Dawgs  will be back in action tomorrow night at Bradley. First serve is set for 7 p.m.

Sports reporter Adam Warfel can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @warfel_adam.

To stay up to date with all your Southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.