Daily Egyptian

Saluki football falls to Ole Miss in offensive showdown

The SIU football team fell to the Ole Miss Rebels (2-0) 76-41 in an offensive battle Saturday evening.

Southern came into the contest looking to earn their first win against the Rebels as the Salukis are 0-2 against Ole Miss.

SIU not only came in looking for their first win, but also looked to make history by becoming the first team from the MVFC to win against an opponent from the Southeastern Conference.

The first quarter saw near perfect offense from both sides with Southern leading the way 21-14.

SIU scored three touchdowns in the quarter with all three coming from senior quarterback Sam Straub.

Straub threw for two touchdowns and rushed for one in the opening 15 minutes.

In the second quarter, Ole Miss was able to find their first lead of the game as they held Southern to a field goal only to answer back with a touchdown for the 28-24 lead.

With just over a minute remaining and the Salukis trailing 35-31, Straub completed a 70-yard pass to senior wide receiver Raphael Leonard to go into the half with the 38-35 lead.

The second half saw the Salukis struggle as they could only score a field goal while giving up six touchdowns.

The turning point occurred at the beginning of the fourth quarter when Straub threw an interception in the red zone, which was returned for an 88 yard touchdown stretching the Rebels’ lead to 55-41.

Ole Miss tagged on three more touchdowns to secure the 76-41 win.

Southern’s offense netted a total of 692 offensive yards marking the sixth most in SIU history.

Straub finished with 382 passing yards on 29 completions with four passing touchdowns as well as one rushing touchdown.

Up next SIU (1-1) will return to Carbondale for their home opener against the SEMO Redhawks on Sept. 15. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Sports editor Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter