Sunset Concert Series celebrates 40th anniversary

By Brandi Courtois, Staff writer

The Sunset Concert Series will be celebrating its 40th anniversary this year throughout June and July.

This year’s events have been dedicated to John W. Corker and Don Castle, both of whom passed away in the last six months.

Corker was the SIU Student Center Director from 1976 to 1995, and helped create the Sunset Concert Series.

Castle was first a Student Center assistant director and then associate director from 1987 until 2017 when he retired.

Southern Illinois University’s student engagement office has organized seven concerts across three locations: Turley Park, the steps of Shryock Auditorium, and a new venue on the corner of Washington Street and East Main Street.

The concerts, which are free and open to the public, will be every Thursday evening at 7 p.m. starting June 14 and ending July 26.

Concert Dates and Locations

• June 14: Down North, a soul punk band, at Shryock Auditorium.
  • June 21: The Tillers, a bluegrass band, at Turley Park.
  • July 28: Donovan Keith, a soul pop singer, at Shryock Auditorium.
  • July 5: Dos Santos, playing a psychedelic cumbia sound at Turley Park.
  • July 12: The Jungle Dogs, promoting a world beat sound at the corner of Washington Street and East Main Street.
  • July 19: Sheryl Youngblood, a blues singer, at the corner of Washington Street and East Main street.
  • July 26: The Band Be Easy, a reggae band, at Shryock Auditorium.

On June 16, Celebrate 618, a collaborative effort from the City of Carbondale Tourism and several nonprofits, will help kick off the summer.

The events include live street performances, a farm-fresh dinner, art and restaurant pop-ups, and a junior jamboree. For specific event information visit  http://www.celebrate618.com/events/.

This years sponsors are Carbondale Park District, City of Carbondale, Student Programming Council, and SIU Student Center.

Because the concert series typically has a large turn out the event organizers have set in place a few rules for public safety.

Glass bottles, pets, smoking, and solicitation will not be allowed at the events. Underage drinking laws will be enforced and only single-serve containers will be allowed.

For more information on the Sunset Concert Series, visit the Student Center’s website at https://bit.ly/2LLy4w1

Staff writer Brandi Courtois can be reached at [email protected].

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news,  follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.