Small-town Belleville bursts onto big screen

By Kia Smith

Hollywood may seem like a million miles away, but the glitz and glamour of Tinseltown can be found in southern Illinois’ backyard with the upcoming film, “Belleville.”

The movie centers on a Belleville farmer who is depressed after his wife’s death until a stranger appears.

Many of the cast members are former SIU students, including Ted Trent, Joan Braswell, Margery Handy, Ron Klein, Adam Parker, Ann Jacobs and Damon J. Taylor.

Trent, the producer and lead actor of the film, attended SIU as a freshman majoring in speech communication and developed his own speech team.

“I came here because of my grandmother Emma Eiffe, who got her teaching certificate in the 1930s and later taught in a one-room schoolhouse,” he said. “I created my own speech team where I was the only member, but later I transferred to Illinois State to join a larger team.”

Assistant director Taylor, graduated in 2009 with a degree in cinema photography, focusing on screenwriting. He also ran the film club and the Big Muddy Film Festival.

“I transferred from Southwestern Illinois College in Belleville,” he said.

“Once I got here, I immediately fell in love with the campus.”

Trent said the decision to include people connected to SIU and Belleville was intentional.

“I love the idea of helping people,” he said. “Setting this film in southern Illinois and reaching out to people in Carbondale allows me to make a difference to support various structures in my community.”

Filming began in June and ended in late 2013. The film features some famous landmarks of Belleville, including Skyview Drive-In, Lincoln Theatre and Millstadt Water Tower.

“We asked people on Facebook to comment what landmarks they want to see shown in a film about Belleville,” Trent said. “Our use of Skyview Drive-In is to bring attention to the troubles that drive-in movie theaters are having all over.”

Rashionda Carlisle, a sophomore from Belleville studying social work, said she is excited about the publicity that a film like this will bring to her hometown.

“I think it’s exciting,” she said. “How often are movies made about a small town, with people who actually were born and raised here? Most films that feature small towns don’t even talk much to the people living there, and come up with their own ideas about a place. This film seems like it will be different.”

Trent says he hopes the film will inspire students to network with other students and use creative niches to support their communities.

“I’m here on a mission to help students realize that all the help they need is sometimes right in front of them,” he said.

Taylor said he decided to be a part of the film because of the community feeling the collaborators offered.

“I’m glad that someone saw the value of Belleville,” he said. “You can know people, but you also have to be innovative and aggressive in your work ethic. This is something that working on this film has offered me.”

Working in the entertainment industry does have its challenges, but it is easier to overcome those challenges with a support team, Trent said.

“Nobody really wants you to succeed in this industry because they perceive your success as their failure,” he said. “This is why it’s necessary to create your own structure, your own world, your own team to succeed.”

Other challenges come from not realizing one’s full potential, Taylor said.

“There is no set path to success,” he said. “Because of this, you’ll make various mistakes. One of them is not maximizing your potential. It wasn’t until I went to SIU and took a screenwriting class that I realized that this was a job I want and can do very well. However, I should’ve started writing earlier.”

Trent said anyone interested in being in the entertainment industry should begin with personal investments first.

“People think that being in the show business costs nothing, and that couldn’t be farthest from the truth,” he said. “You never start a business without money. Everyone has good ideas, but if you don’t have funds to turn those ideas into a reality, then your idea doesn’t go anywhere.”

Taylor said aspiring creators need to be persistent to find success.

“I think self-education is very important,” he said. “There is tons of info you can find online that can help you, but you also must practice what you learn. Always stay persistent in what you do.”

Trent is starting production on another film set in southern Illinois entitled, “Expect Delays.”

“I can’t give too much information yet, but let’s just say that it is a chapter that ties into the story of Belleville,” Trent said. “Auditions for that film begin April 26 and 27.”

Belleville premieres in Carbondale at AMC University Place 8 on April 25. For more information, visit www.bellevillethemovie.com.

Kia Smith can be reached at [email protected]on Twitter at @KiaSmith, or at 536-3311 ext. 268.