Rec Center hours extended

By Sarah Niebrugge

Starting fall 2014, the Recreation Center will stay open an hour later on weekdays and potentially weekends.

The Recreation Center will be open until midnight Sunday through Thursday beginning in August. Currently, the facility is open until 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, 10 p.m. on Friday and 8 p.m. on Saturday.

Troy Vaughn, director of recreational sports and services, said athletic administration is still discussing whether it would be beneficial to add an extra hour to Saturday.

Vaughn said there have been several requests for the Recreation Center to stay open later. He said there have been no requests to open earlier than 1 p.m. on Sunday.

“A lot of people are out doing family stuff or church related things or whatever on Sunday mornings, so there is no need to open up [earlier],” he said.

Vaughn said it is proposed the Recreation Center stay open later on Fridays and Saturdays, but no final decisions have been made. The proposed hours would keep the facility open until 9 or 10 p.m., depending on its budget.

“The first and foremost thing you have to look at is budget and you have to understand that when we are fully staffed, we have five or six people working in the building at the same time,” he said. “You take that number times minimum wage and it’s $50 an hour just to run the building.”

The student pay does not include utility costs and other expenses needed to keep the facility functioning, Vaughn said. He said more student workers will be hired because of the recent 20 hour student worker cap proposal.

Sam Schneider, a senior from Pinckneyville studying human nutrition and dietetics, works at the Recreational Center as a group fitness leader.

Schneider was unaware of the changing hours at the facility, but was happily surprised and said it should not affect her or any of her co-workers.

“For work I probably wouldn’t use the extra time,” she said. “But if I needed to come into the rec to finish a workout or do anything, I think it would be very convenient.”

The Recreation Center is the second-highest employer on campus. It is currently going through a “hiring blitz” and looking through over 500 applications, Vaughn said.

“We are very proud of the fact that we are going to get back and access $700,000 this year to students basically in student wages,” he said. “We know that that will increase a little bit based on us extending hours and we will readjust our budgets to make sure that we can cover that.”

He said though the new rule may be problematic for facilities that hire a large number of students such as themselves, he believes they will do their best to make it work.

The Recreation Center administration is in the process of deciding whether the Edward J. Shea Natatorium will be open later as well.

Vaughn said students will have the option to take part in a healthier way to spend their time on weekends by keeping the Recreation Center open later.

“It’s our hope that being open an additional hour will bring more students over. We are a very healthy alternative to going downtown to the bars and hanging out and doing something that’s not as healthy,” he said.

Intramural sports, which start later in the evening, will also have more time to be active if the facility is open later, Vaughn said. He said the proposed hours will benefit students who use it for studying, working out and for a variety of other activities.

“We want to do what’s in the best convenience factor for our students and our members as well, so we are cognizant to that and we feel that in giving that extra hour will be beneficial for folks,” he said.

Andrew Bauer, a sophomore from Springfield studying civil engineering, said he frequently visits the Recreation Center.

“I usually try to make it at least four times a week to the Rec, but it’s been a while due to finals week,” Bauer said.

Bauer said he normally works out in the early evening, but likes having the option of having a late night work out.

“I think it would be great to be able to go for late night workouts before bed,” he said “Especially if I don’t have class the next day.”

Vaughn said the proposed hours are in the best interest of the students.

“I’m pretty confident that this is going to be something that’s going to stay around a while,” he said.