Brockmeyer earns MVC Player and Newcomer of the Week

By Dillon Gilliland

On Tuesday, freshman forward Abby Brockmeyer was named the Newcomer and Player of the Week by the Missouri Valley Conference. Brockmeyer became the fifth player in MVC history and first in SIU history to sweep both honors in the same week.

The forward became the first freshmen to earn both honors since Jan. 19, 2009 when Casey Garrison of Missouri State earned both awards.

Brockmeyer hit the ground running in conference play as she averaged a double-double in her first two games. Along with 21.5 points per game, she collected 11 rebounds per game which rendered her as a threat on the offensive and defensive end.

In Southern’s two conference victories, Brockmeyer combined for 43 points — the most of any MVC player through two conference games this season and the most by a freshman to start Valley play in program history.

The freshman’s 27 points against the Evansville Purple Aces tied the record for the most points by a freshman in a single game in program history.

Brockmeyer will look to build upon her strong MVC debut on Friday when the Salukis take on Northern Iowa at SIU Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.