Student government seeks senators

By Marissa Novel

More than half of the Undergraduate Student Government seats have not yet been appointed this year.

USG Chief of Staff Shantel Franklin, a junior from Chicago studying political science, said there are 20 open senate seats. The Senate consists of 34 seats, according to USG’s website.

At its first meeting Tuesday, the senate tabled the Student Health Initiative resolution.

USG President Cameron Shulak, a senior from Louisville, Ky. studying aviation flight and management, said the initiative aims to create an Affordable Care Act compliant plan.

He said ACA compliancy would make it easier for students to obtain prescription medication, eliminate caps on certain benefits and remove limits on care because of pre-existing conditions.

“The quicker we can take action on it, the better,” Shulak said.

Shulak said the resolution received little criticism from undergraduates, and it would increase the student health fee by about 30 percent, though the definite cost is confidential.

“The university’s plan is much, much cheaper than opting elsewhere for healthcare,” he said.

Shulak said he will meet with interim Provost Susan Ford and other administration later this week to discuss more details about the resolution, as well as the 20-hour work cap.

Senator Lloyd Coakley, a sophomore from Belleville studying anthropology, voted to table the fee.

“Quite honestly, to pass something with a fee that high, without consulting our constituents would be doing a disservice to the students we represent,” Coakley said.

Five new senators were appointed at the meeting, including Senator Raheam Hudson, a sophomore from St. Louis studying marketing. Hudson said he is excited to participate in the student government.

“I just want to be a voice for the students and make sure they’re getting all the potential resources they should have access to,” he said.

The next meeting will be at 6 p.m. on Sept. 9 at the Student Health Services Auditorium.

Information and petition packets for becoming a USG senator can be found at www.usg.rso.siu.edu.