Law school dean steps down

By Staff report

Cynthia Fountaine, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down from her position effective Sept. 15. She has occupied the role since 2010.

The position will be filled temporarily by Christopher Behan, an associate dean at the law school. Behan will serve as acting dean until the search for an interim dean is completed “in accordance with the school’s operating paper,” according to a university news release.

“Associate Dean Behan’s leadership and knowledge of the school will serve him well in this new role,” Chancellor Carlo Montemagno said in the release.

Montemagno said the national search for a permanent dean will begin later this semester.

Behan, who has been at the law school since 2006, previously served as a judge advocate in the U.S. Army and an associate professor at his alma mater, the Judge Advocate General’s School in Charlottesville, VA.

Behan earned his undergraduate degree in English and his juris doctorate from Brigham Young University, as well as a master of law degree from the Judge Advocate General’s School.

The Daily Egyptian’s campus desk can be reached at 618-536-3397 or [email protected].

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.