Saluki women exact revenge against Missouri State

By Aaron Graff

The SIU swimming and diving teams will go hiking on Monday.

Coach Rick Walker told the swimmers they would go hiking if they performed well against Missouri State, and they did.

The Saluki women’s swimming and diving team defeated the Missouri State Bears 191-109 Saturday, while the men’s team lost 156-144. Both MSU’s women and men won their respective conference championships last season.

“They more than earned that,” Walker said. “And they were really excited about it.”

Last season, the Saluki women thought they won a close match, but realized they lost because of a scoring error.

“One of the themes [this year] was ‘let’s not win or lose by a point,’ Walker said. “They won by 82 points, and that’s not a little. That was decisive. They ought to be encouraged, as am I.”

The Saluki freshmen class claimed nine individual events between the men and women. Freshman Kelsie Walker won the 500-yard and 1,000-yard freestyles, and the 200-yard butterfly. Freshman Michael Wolfe won the same three events on the men’s side.

“[The freshmen] are excited and enthused performing, because they are being led and directed by our upper-classmen, Walker said. “That’s what makes a total team effort.”

Junior Sherry Zhang and senior Kegan Skelton won both the one-meter and three-meter dives.

The Salukis compete against Illinois State and Illinois Nov. 1 in Bloomington, Ill.

Aaron Graff can be contacted at [email protected], on Twitter @Aarongraff_DE or 536-3311 ext. 269