Eight facts students should know about ISIS

By Joshua Murray

Following the killing of two American journalists, a discussion to inform students and community members on the militant group the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria was held at Lesar Auditorium in the Law School on Wednesday night.

In August, ISIS posted a YouTube video showing the decapitation of U.S. journalist James Foley. Since Foley’s execution, ISIS has executed three other Westerners, including U.S. journalist Stephen Sotloff.

ISIS was formed more than 10 years ago and gained international attention earlier this year after seizing the Iraqi city of Mosul in June. ISIS continued to gain international attention as they seized several other major cities in Iraq and Syria.

The panel included: Hazar Abil Samin, a political science Ph.D candidate; Janice Jacobs, a former U.S. ambassador and assistant secretary of state for consular affairs; Cindy Buys, professor of law; Virginia Tilley, professor and chairwomen of the Department of Political Science; and Hale Yilmaz, associate professor of history.

Here are eight facts students need to know about the terrorist group.

ISIS or ISIL? – From world leaders to members of the media, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) have been used interchangeably when referring to the group. The Levant, also known as the Eastern Mediterranean, includes Syria along with Cyprus, Jordan, Israel, Lebanon, Palestine and parts of southern Turkey.

ISIS and al-Qaida – Although initially allies, ISIS and al-Qaida had a bitter falling out earlier this year. Because of differing ideologies and a lack of loyalty, al-Qaida publically parted ways with ISIS in February.

Foreign fighters – ISIS has recruited more foreign fighters than any other terror or extremist organization and continues to do so in an unprecedented way. Randy Blake, a senior strategic advisor in the U.S. Office of Director of National Intelligence, said more than 16,000 foreign fighters have traveled to Syria from more than 80 countries. Roughly 2,000 of these foreign fighters have come from Western countries, with at least 100 coming from the U.S.

Funding – Through black market oil sales, kidnapping ransoms and social media, reports show that ISIS generates more than $3 million a day, making it the richest known terror organization in the world.

Social media – One of the ways ISIS has been able to recruit so many foreign fighters is through its sophisticated use of social media. ISIS has posted YouTube videos, as well as using Twitter and Facebook as recruitment tools.

ISIS vs. Islam – ISIS has and continues to use Islam as justification for its brutality throughout Iraq and parts of Syria. Islam is defended as a religion of peace, and most who practice the faith share nothing in common with the ISIS agenda.

Effects of Western efforts – U.S. involvement in Iraq has been attributed to the rise of ISIS. After overthrowing Saddam Hussein in 2003, loyalists to Hussein and top members of his Baathist Party joined ISIS.

Lack of international response – The U.N. response to ISIS is criticized for not being strong enough, since the U.N. has done little in response to the violence attributed to ISIS. Similarly, President Barack Obama has committed to using more diplomatic means to fight ISIS as opposed to putting combat troops on the ground in Iraq and Syria.