Last ditch effort falls short for SIU softball

SIU then-freshman Sydney Jones celebrates her stand-up double against Bradley University at Charlotte West Stadium. 

By Brent Meske, @brentmeskeDE

SIU (11-11-1, 6-0) saw its six-game win streak snapped at the hands of non-conference opponent Murray State (17-10) in a 6-4 loss Tuesday night in Kentucky.

SIU started freshman Savanna Dover in the circle and she suffered the loss to fall to 1-4 on the season. Dover came into the game with a 2.88 ERA in her last four appearances with 16 hits in 17 innings.

The Racers rallied in the third inning with 4 runs after allowing SIU to plate one in the top half. Dover started the inning with 2 walks and a single to load the bases with no outs. Another walk let the first run across the board before Dover responded by striking out sophomore third baseman Maggie Glass.

An illegal pitch, groundout and single drove in three more runs before Dover got herself and SIU out of the inning.

Murray added its fifth and sixth runs of the game in the equivalent innings.

Dover was pulled after 4.2 innings and finished with 5 hits, 5 runs, 6 walks and 2 strikeouts. Sophomore Shaye Harre relieved Dover and finished the game with 1.1 innings pitched and allowed 1 run on 1 hit.

SIU did not have an answer to sophomore starting pitcher Mason Robinson, who finished the first six innings with 3 hits and 1 run allowed while striking out three and walking four.

Junior pitcher J.J. Francis closed the game in the top of the seventh inning and the Salukis found their bats.

Freshman right fielder Jessica Hesse started the inning by drawing a walk before both freshman second baseman Savannah Fisher and junior short stop Kelsey Gonzalez struck out swinging. Down to the final out, senior center fielder Kalyn Harker singled to put runners on first and second. Freshman Sydney Jones hit a three-run home run to left field, her fourth of the year, to bring the game within two. Harre was next to bat and registered SIU’s final out of the game with a fly out to junior Shelbey Miller at second base.

The Salukis return to Missouri Valley Conference play this weekend when they travel to Northern Iowa to take on the Panthers. The first game begins at noon on Saturday at the Robinson-Dresser Sports Complex.

Brent Meske can be reached at [email protected] or at 536-3311 ext. 269.