SIU snack shop opens in Grinnell Hall

Daily Egyptian file photo

Daily Egyptian file photo

By Lauren Wilson

After a few years reprieve, Grinnell Hall is back in the food business.

A new snack shop called the Gathering Place opened Monday in the lower level of Grinnell.

The shop features chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, shoestring fries, coffee, ice cream and Papa John’s Pizza.

The area serves as a gathering place for students during Registered Student Organization meetings, which was part of the reason behind creating the shop, said Crystal Bouhl, assistant director of marketing for university housing.

“The Gathering Place snack shop was created for students to connect with one another, and to bring a homey feel to campus for students who tend to get homesick,” she said.

MORE: SIU’s new food pantry open to students

Todd Bryson, assistant director of University Housing, said they utilized the kitchen already in the lower level of Grinnell, which cut down on start-up expenses when transforming the space.

“Most of the food is made by the staff and students, with the exception of the Papa John’s Pizza,” Bryson said.

Students craving a meal from somewhere other than the dining hall can use cash, credit or Debit Dawg but not their University Housing meal plans.

The new eatery is open from 5 to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and will also open for special events, such as football games and dances in Grinnell Hall.

Staff writer Lauren Wilson can be reached at [email protected]

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.