Missing SIUE student found dead

UPDATED at 12:15 p.m. with details from the press conference.

A missing college student from St. Jacob has been found dead in Hazelwood, Mo.

The body was found in a shallow grave by a Hazelwood police officer near where Taylor S. Clark’s car was found abandoned Tuesday evening, according to the source. Police were speaking to at least one “person of interest,” the source said.

Clark, a 19-year-old student at SIU-Edwardsville, was reported missing by relatives Monday night.

During a press conference at noon Wednesday, Florissant Police Capt. Tim Fagan would not confirm that Clark’s body was found in a shallow grave, nor would he say whether police were speaking to a person of interest.

Fagan, who is heading the Major Case Squad investigation of Clark’s death, said only that a body found Tuesday was that of Clark and that the case was a homicide investigation.

Fagan would not say whether police believed a Craigslist ad placed by Clark was connected to his death. His family told investigators Clark had listed his car for sale on the site, and spoken to someone Monday morning about the ad. Authorities aren’t sure if Clark met anyone to discuss selling the car, a red 2007 Nissan 350ZX.

Fagan said only that police were investigating all possibilities and speaking to many people.

The car was found Tuesday evening on a Budget truck rental parking lot in the 12000 block of Missouri Bottom Road in Hazelwood, near Lambert-St. Louis International Airport. The body was found nearby.

Clark, of the 400 block of West Fifth Street in St. Jacob, was last seen by his girlfriend in Glen Carbon about 10:30 a.m. Monday after he finished taking exams at SIUE.

Cellphone records indicate Clark’s phone was near the St. Louis Outlet Mall, formerly the St. Louis Mills, in Hazelwood about 11:37 a.m. Monday.

The lot where the car was found is 2 miles from the St. Louis Outlet Mall.

A memorial page for Clark was set up on Facebook Tuesday night.

Clark was a sophomore in the School of Engineering at SIUE.

“Our hearts and minds are with Taylor Clark’s family and friends as they cope with this tragic loss,” SIUE Chancellor Julie Furst-Bowe said in a statement. “At a time of the year when the new spring season brings the promise of brighter days ahead, and commencement provides unending potential for so many of our students, it is truly sad that Taylor had his bright future taken away. He will be missed by all of those who he encountered on our campus.”

The Madison County sheriff’s office is asking anyone with information about the case to call investigators at 618-692-0871 or 618-296-3000.