EIU eliminates 118 positions

By Dawn Schabbing, Effingham Daily News

Eastern Illinois University has eliminated 118 civil service, administrative and professional positions, but an official said 50 of those positions are already vacated and won’t be filled.

The 50 vacated positions came from resignations and retirements, according to university spokeswoman Vicki Shaw Woodard. The other 67 employees are getting word this week that their positions are included in the layoff list, she said.

“In an effort to bring the size of Eastern Illinois University’s workforce more in line with current enrollment and appropriated funding, officials have identified 118 civil service and administrative and professional positions for elimination,” Woodard said in a press release.

Woodard said affected employees also have the right to “bump” other employees with less seniority, in accordance with the civil service guidelines.

“It’s a complicated process,” said Woodard. “We can’t answer all questions we are being asked. Each employee has 30 days to decide whether to leave the university or to bump. Potentially, this could go on for a while.”

Students enrolled at EIU are scheduled to begin classes on Monday. Move-in day for students living on campus is Thursday.

Woodard said these layoffs should not affect students enrolled this semester.

EIU President David Glassman took his post on June 1 and went right to work. He also plans to share his vision for re-energizing the EIU brand at his first State of the University address in September.

He directed the four vice-presidents to develop cost cutting plans. Those vice-presidents and their areas are: Blair Lord, academic affairs; Dan Nadler, student affairs; Bob Martin, university advancement; and Paul McCann, interim for business affairs.

These cost-cutting measures were reviewed by Glassman.

Woodard also said that additional employees in academic support positions or administrative and professional positions will be notified of their position elimination or a reduction of their annual 12-month employment, to something shorter, such as 10 or 11 months.

“We will, however, continue to be mindful of our core educational mission and shared values of academic excellence, student success and a positive student experience,” Glassman said in the press release.

Glassman declined to be interviewed on Tuesday.

Woodard said he prefers to wait to speak publicly about the cost-cutting measures until the process is over. As far as future layoffs are concerned, Woodard said, “We don’t know what lies ahead.”

Dawn Schabbing can be reached at [email protected] or 217-347-7151 ext. 138