University cuts 6.4 percent of state funds from budget

By Cory Ray, @coryray_DE

SIUC plans to cut $13.5 million, a total of 6.4 percent, in state funding from the university’s budget. Cuts are still under review, according to University Spokesperson Rae Goldsmith. 

“The goal was to minimize the damage on the academic core mission of the university … most other places have taken significantly larger cuts,” Goldsmith said.

Contingency funds — the university’s emergency reserve — will receive the largest cut at 50 percent, totaling 1 percent of the overall budget. 

Academic Affairs will have the smallest overall cut at 2.57 percent, or nearly $3.9 million. This includes all university colleges, the University Honors Program, the Center for Teaching Excellence and 34 other departments.

Every college will receive nonrecurring reductions; individual cuts are for only this fiscal year and may differ in upcoming years.

Departments will have 10 percent recurring, 5 percent recurring or nonrecurring cuts. Those that experience a 10 percent cut can more easily fundraise or receive grants to generate funds. Departments facing 5 percent cuts do not have ease of access to fundraising, according to Goldsmith.

University research will undergo an overall 9.61 percent decrease — more than $500,000 — with most individual research departments taking 10 percent cuts.

James Garvey, vice chancellor for research, said the department receives federal and state grants in addition to university allocations.

He said state grants account for 50 percent of the department’s grant funding, or approximately $40 to $50 million. $20 million of expected state grants for this year have not yet come through.

“The reason we can absorb a lot of these cuts — and they’re going to hurt — is because we bring in so much money from the outside.” 

Guaranteed student employment hours from this semester will not change, but undergraduate assistants are expected to see a reduction in hours during the spring semester. The Research Department will attempt to find external funding for students to make up for reduced hours, Garvey said.

Recurring cuts total nearly $3.6 million, while nonrecurring cuts total almost $10 million.

SIU System President Randy Dunn has said this is a transition year that will undergo a series of one-time fixes.

“The recurring cuts are actually pretty small compared to the nonrecurring cuts,” Goldsmith said. “That means we’ve got a lot to figure out going forward, assuming the budget’s not going to be restored.”

The Chancellor’s Office will receive a 7 percent cut, or nearly $442,000, and Student Affairs will reduce 8.13 percent, or $206,000.

Athletics, Economic Development, and Development and Alumni Relations will have 10 percent cuts, amounting to more than $500,000.

Administration and Finance departments will be cut by 8.82 percent, or nearly $3 million.

“The university’s been through a lot of cuts, so we’re pretty lean already,” Goldsmith said. “This was an effort to get ahead of a state cut that is still uncertain … but we couldn’t go forward without something because the year’s underway.”

Cory Ray can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @coryray_DE