Phi Sigma Kappa loses charter

Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity President Josh Spencer announced Monday that his fraternity’s charter has been pulled.

Spencer said that he was making the announcement to the chapter members Monday evening to inform them of the decision he attributes to the University administration and Select 2000 policies.

Assistant Director for Student Development Katie Sermersheim would not comment on specific details about the loss of the charter, but said the decision was not a University or Select 2000 decision.

Nancy Hunter Pei, director of Student Development, said there would be an official announcement by the fraternity’s national chapter today.

Select 2000 is nine-part initiative requiring greeks to maintain higher grades, make chapter houses alcohol-free and substance-free and require hours of community service for greek members. The program was designed by 26 national fraternities that want to implement the program completely by the year 2000.

SIUC was one of four universities contacted by the National Interfraternity Council to consider becoming a Select 2000 pilot school. The other three schools were Villanova University, Northern Colorado University and Southern Florida College.

Sermersheim said a consultant from the national chapter visited the campus two weeks ago and determined that the SIUC chapter was not meeting the standards of the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity.

Phi Sigma Kappa adviser Phil Lindberg could not be reached for comment, and national chapter liaison to SIUC Shawn McDaniel was contacted but would not comment.

Phi Sigma Kappa is the second fraternity at SIUC to lose its charter in the last year. The Delta Chi fraternity lost its Registered Student Organization status earlier this year as a result of probation and alcohol violations in February 1998. The fraternity is not eligible for RSO status again until the end of Spring 2002 semester.