Renovations, student housing major issues discussed at BOT meeting BOT_06/17_jy

Students not enrolled during summer still eligible for insurance Jessica Yorama

With the question of several of their positions on the Board of Trustees at least temporarily on hold, members met Thursday in East St. Louis to discuss a variety of University issues.

“It wasn’t that full of an agenda,” said Chairman of Finance committee John Brewster. “Most things were approved last month so this meeting had a pretty light agenda.”

The meeting’s agenda included presentations from representatives with various schools and programs who gathered to discuss plans for their particular programs.

Former students of Upward Bound, a college preparation program for disadvantaged students, spoke positively about the successful program.

“There were some wonderful presentations made at the meeting,” said D’Esposito. “Prior to this, each segment had been discussed before but in very broad terms. We discussed what funds have priorities and how to still maintain critical faculty.”

Another issue on the meeting agenda was renovations to University Housing properties, scheduled to begin next summer. Renovations will include the second part in a multiphase project to replace electrical systems in Thompson Point. It will begin with repairs to Brown and Pierce halls, both built in 1956, which will require $500,000 from the University Housing and Replacement Reserve.

Also scheduled for completion at this time are renovations to elevator systems in Mae Smith, Schneider and Neely. The replacement of the elevators’ motor generators, among other parts, will cost approximately $1 million from the same fund.

Nine months after purchasing the property on 1005 S. Oakland Ave, SIUC has decided to purchase a 2,290 square-foot house located on the area adjacent to campus. According to D’Esposito, the purchase, which must first be approved by the Illinois Board of Higher Education, will be used as student housing.

The property, which was the only piece of land on the block not owned by the University, will cost $90,000 in addition to closing costs.

Another important topic discussed by board members was the decision that, even when they are not currently enrolled in classes, SIUC students will still be eligible for medical coverage. This would mean that, even those who are not registered for classes during the summer semester would be able to receive insurance through the University.

Reporter Jessica Yorama can be reached at [email protected]