Not all appeals granted in traffic board mix-up

By Gus Bode

The SIUC Parking Division has apologized to some students inconvenienced by errors in the appeals process last week by excusing their traffic tickets.

Approximately 15 students were scheduled Thursday morning between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. to appeal parking tickets to the Traffic Appeals Board, but the board did not show up until the afternoon session beginning at 1 p.m.

Those not able to have their cases heard later in the afternoon will have their appeals granted, said Todd Sigler, director of Public Safety.


Those students who were scheduled in the morning but did stay later for the afternoon session of hearings from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. still appeared before the board and will not hear their verdict for two weeks.

He said though the five members of the board did not assemble as planned on Thursday morning, they stayed late to hear appeals until 5 p.m.

“It was simply a matter of miscommunication, which is unfortunate, but it happens” Sigler said.

He said anytime “meetings are scheduled and e-mails are exchanged” there is a potential for a situation such as Thursday’s to occur.

Brian Mager, director of the SIUC Parking Division, refused in-person interviews and did not respond to e-mails Monday regarding what Sigler called the “miscommunication.”

The Parking Division regulations state, “anyone who fails to pursue his or her administrative hearing, waives the right to the same and shall be subject to the monetary use charge of sanctions otherwise herein provided.”

Because of this stipulation, if students miss the designated Appeals Board hearing, they must pay the fine.


Angela St. Paul, who sits on the Traffic Appeals Board as a Graduate Professional Student Council member, could not be reached for comment. However, Eric Waltmire, another GPSC member, said he believed there was a mix-up.

“I believe the members of the board were not notified they should be at the meeting until the day before via e-mail,” he said.

Joel Willis, 25, of Carbondale said he arrived Thursday morning before 10 a.m. at the Recreation Center to state his case, but after noting no board members were showing up, he left and contacted the Parking Division, which was unaware of the situation.

He said if his appeal is not granted, he will be very upset because there was no record of who actually showed up for their appeal appointment and who did not.

“He [Sigler] has no idea who was there in the morning,” Willis said.

Sigler said the students who were inconvenienced would receive letters of apology in the mail.