Art in motion show at the glove

School of Art and Design sponsors exhibition Friday

A building that was once home to hundreds of gloves is now a place for SIUC artists to show off a new kind of art.

The School of Art and Design will be sponsoring an art exhibition called Process, Performance, and Projection III at the Surplus Gallery @ the Glove Factory. The event will take place from 7 p.m. until 11 p.m. Friday, and is free to the public.

The Surplus Gallery @ the Glove Factory is a 5000-square-foot venue located at 408 S. Walnut. This former glove factory turned art gallery sponsors events such as “Love at the Glove,” an art show that takes place every year on Valentine’s Day.

Melissa Vandenberg, an artist and graduate student in the School of Art and Design, said Process, Performance, and Projection III is different from other art shows because the pieces will feature motion and movement such as performance and film pieces.

“The basic attitude of the show is dealing with a lot of time based media,” Vandenberg said. “Instead of just still art, you’re dealing with art in motion. It’s kind of interesting and a little bit more cutting edge.”

This will be the third annual exhibition of the Process, Performance and Projection, which was started by School of Art and Design professors Chris Wildrick and Carole Loeffler. Wildrick said he and Loeffler initially started the show to give students an opportunity to create and display this type of art and to introduce it to people who might never have seen it before.

“The students get to experiment and try things they wouldn’t normally get to try,” Wildrick said.

The art on display will mostly be from SIUC professors, graduate students and undergraduates from both the Art and Design and the Cinema and Photography departments.

Wildrick said he wants to use the show to break the stereotype that the time based media art is too over-the-top. He wants people to see it more as normal artwork rather than something considered strange.

“A lot of times, this kind of work would be considered shocking,” Wildrick said. “My hope is to try and erase that shock value from it.”

Wildrick said he expects that people will enjoy Friday night’s art show because they get to interact with the art more than they would at a typical show. The atmosphere at a show like this is much more dynamic.

“It’s not the kind of art show where people just come in and look at things on the wall,” Wildrick said. “It’s something where things are happening all the time in terms of the artwork itself and then people interacting with it. It’s more of an exciting atmosphere.”

Reporter William Ford can be reached at