Committee looks to boost enrollment

The recent decline in enrollment has university officials on a quest to make some changes.

An enrollment management strategic planning committee, formed by interim Chancellor John Dunn, is formulating a list of recommendations to increase enrollment at SIUC.

Interim Associate Dean of the College of Engineering John Nicklow will head the approximately 30-member committee. He said the recommendations should increase enrollment short term, but the committee will also sustain a plan to retain students through their alumni years.

The committee will have about six months to formulate its list of recommendations, he said.

Dunn said he asked the committee to think in traditional ways about things that SIUC has been doing that seem to work well, but also to think beyond what has been done in the past.

He said he’d like to see some strategies to help students who have achieved senior status finish their degree.

The approximately 30-member committee’s first step, Nicklow said, is to complete a “Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats Analysis.” The committee has divided up into four subcommittees, each of which will work on one facet of the analysis, he said.

Jamie Nash, a senior from Cobden studying social sciences with a designation in history, is one of the student representatives for the committee. She said she plans to bring other student’s opinions as well as her own to the process.

Nash said she thinks it is important for students to be on the committee because they are the one’s the committee hopes to attract.

“That’s what it’s all about,” she said.

[email protected] 536-3311 ext. 255