Baseball: SIU trips up on road

The SIU baseball team went into its weekend series at Evansville with high hopes, but could only manage an extra-inning win in the finale of the three-game series.

After dropping the first two games of the series, the Salukis managed an 8-5 win in Sunday’s 11-inning finale.

Junior pitcher Shawn Joy stopped the bleeding for SIU, going 6.1 innings and allowing two runs on eight hits.

The Salukis took a 4-2 lead into the eighth inning before the Purple Aces (19-11, 3-3) started a three-run rally off junior reliever Ian Reinhart to take the lead.

After picking up a run in the top of the ninth, the Salukis (21-8, 4-2) tied the game 5-5 after a bases loaded walk.

In the top of the 11th, SIU added three runs to grab the lead for good. Freshman closer Bryant George slammed the door on Evansville, throwing 2.2 scoreless innings to pick up the win.

The Saluki offense churned out 14 hits. Five players picked up at least two hits. Junior second baseman Tyler Lairson went 3-for-6 with a double, a triple and two RBI.

Junior left fielder Dean Cademartori hit 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles and two RBI.

In Saturday’s game, the Salukis lasted seven innings as they were run-ruled by the Purple Aces 14-2.

Sophomore pitcher Cody Adams was chased out of the game in the second inning after giving up seven runs on nine hits.

He came into the series as one of the three remaining undefeated starting pitchers in the country but the beating raised his ERA 1.47 to 2.66.

The bullpen didn’t fare much better after Adams left. Senior Kyle Catto and sophomore Danny Wells gave up seven runs, six earned, and six hits combined in their 2.1 innings of work.

Despite only scoring two runs, the Saluki offense cranked out 10 hits. Sophomore catcher Mark Kelly led SIU going 3-for-3 with an RBI.

Lairson also batted 3-for-3 in the losing effort.

In Friday’s 10-0 loss to Evansville, the Salukis struggled out of the gate. Senior pitcher Jordan Powell allowed two runs in the bottom of the first and committed two errors in the third en route to a three-run inning.

In six innings of work, Powell allowed seven runs – five earned – while giving up 11 hits in the loss.

Senior reliever Shane Garner allowed three more runs in the seventh before the game was called.

Evansville starting pitcher Ben Norton was dominant in his seven innings of work. He scattered six hits and three walks while striking out eight in the shut out.

Freshman first baseman Tyler Choate managed a 2-for-2 day from the plate for SIU.