More repairs to Conduct Code

Though revisions of the Student Conduct Code are near completion, some say necessary changes still need to be made.

The code, a set of rules regarding behavior for students at the university, has been under review since March 2007 and the nine-person committee in charge of the review process handed a draft of revisions to Chancellor Fernando Trevino just before the winter break.

But Demetrous White, Undergraduate Student Government president and member of review committee, said some of the primary concerns of students were not addressed in the committee’s revisions, such as the merit behind suspensions and expulsions of students.

“It’s the same code with some more definitions and some wording changes here and there,” White said. “For the most part, no real changes were made.”

White said the interim separation policy allows the university to ban a student from campus without a hearing, as long as there is reasonable cause to believe there is a significant threat to the campus community. In October 2006, it was the interim separation policy that allowed the university to expel seven students without a hearing after a disputed fight.

“It embarrassed the university,” White said.

Paul Sarvela, committee chair and dean of the College of Applied Sciences and Arts, said the committee tried to stick to a model code of student conduct, which outlines the best practices used at colleges and universities.

“We, in general, believe that the Student Conduct Code will be in better shape,” Sarvela said.

White said some of the proposed changes came to split decisions, leaving the committee chair to be the deciding vote. Sarvela said when a proposed change was not made, those in favor of the change were able to include reasons why it should be made, which was included in the committee’s draft.

White said it is his hope that some changes cited in the draft that were not made will be included in the final code changes.

“We’re trying to figure out a way that the process can go more smoothly,” White said.

The review process is nearing the end, White said, and it’s important to try to get these changes made as soon as possible.

The process is not over yet, Trevino said, and changes to the code including those in the draft can still be made.

“At this time, it’s still preliminary and there’s plenty of time to implement more changes,” Trevino said.

Madeleine Leroux can be reached at 536-3311 ext. 270 or [email protected].