Berg, barbecue round out Alpha week

People hoping to watch the main event of the Alpha Phi Alpha Spring Out barbecue had to get their wallets out to do so.

Rap artist Yung Berg performed to an audience of several hundred at the March of Dimes fashion show at the Student Center Saturday night because he arrived late to the barbecue and then refused to perform in the drizzly conditions. The move made patrons pay $7 for entrance to the fashion show, or $5 with a canned good. The concert was originally free.

The audience members remained seated until the rapper’s last song, “Sexy Can I,” featuring R’B singer Ray J, who was not in attendance. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., received $13,710 from Undergraduate Student Government to fund the performance, which lasted about half an hour.

“We wanted to bring somebody the students are familiar with,” said Cergio Brown, president of Alpha Phi Alpha. “Yung Berg is just getting started.”

The performance was scheduled to take place during the Spring Out barbecue held earlier that day. USG allocated $8,450 for the barbecue, which took place in the courtyard of Shryock Auditorium and provided free hot dogs, chicken wings and hamburgers along with blow-up games for the several hundred people.

“The show was straight. I’m just glad they brought someone who is putting the Chi on the map,” said Eric Madlock, a junior from Chicago studying industrial technology.

The cookout, performance and fashion show were the final events of Alpha Phi Alpha’s Spring Out week. The March of Dimes Fashion Show, sponsored by Alpha Phi Alpha and campus modeling group Vanity Fashion Fair Models, was the second annual show put on by the organizations.

Proceeds from the show were split between The March of Dimes Foundation, an organization that raises money to help children with birth defects and health problems, and the modeling group, which used the money to help teach high school students.

“I liked the fashion show but it’s just too bad for people who had to pay that just wanted to see the concert,” said Brock Wallace, a junior from Peoria studying marketing.

DeMarcus Hamilton can be reached at 536-3311 ext. 254 or [email protected]