New Faces to see in Moe Theater

Though it’s just a little more than a month into the new semester, students in the theater department are already raring to start performing.

Freshmen and transfer students in the theater department will present “New Faces 2008,” a series of monologues and scenes, at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in the Christian H. Moe Theater.

Mark Varns, chair of the theater department, said this is the third year in which the New Faces program has been performed, and it has always been a great success.

“[New Faces] creates an opportunity for freshmen to get in front of the public as soon as possible and introduce themselves to the audience,” Varns said. “It also lets the audience get introduced to our new actors.”

By introducing the actors to the audience, it helps the audience to become familiar with the performers whom they will be seeing over the next several years.

Tom Kidd, a theater department professor who runs the freshman seminar course that is required of all freshman theater majors, directs the show. This event is one of the class projects in which the freshmen are required to participate.

“It helps them get on their feet right away,” Varns said. “Throwing the freshmen into a live theater situation gets them used to being on stage in front of a live audience.”

The students will perform scenes and the monologues they have selected that will portray a wide variety of student life.

In years past, there have been songs, dramatic monologues and comedic scenes that were taken from already existing material.

Performers at the event include Jasmin S. Armstrong, Joshua Barks, Simon Biles, Jenna Brown, Winnie Lin, Laura Pearson, Max Ryan, Kiara L. Taylor, Timothy Wessell, Gareth York, Josh Dodds and Juan Zapata.

Admission to “New Faces” is free and there will be refreshments following the performance, as promoted by the theater’s marketing department, which is run by Vince Rhomberg.

Varns says he hopes a lot of people come out for the show. Despite it being on a Saturday, it is at a relatively early time and should not run more than an hour and a half, he said.

“It’s really a fun, enjoyable, entertaining evening, and it’s over relatively quickly. I’ve never gone to one and not had a good time,” Varns said.

Wes Lawson can be reached at 536-3311 ext. 275 or [email protected]