Morris library to stay open 24/7 for fall semester

Morris Library will be open 24 hours a day Sunday through Thursday starting in the fall semester. The library will hire additional security to monitor the first floor computer lab, rotunda area and vending machines during the new late-night hours.

Broken computers and internet crashes will no longer be an excuse for late homework. Morris Library will be open 24 hours in the fall semester to provide students a safe on-campus learning environment.

“This is a research institution … students should have access to university resources at all times,” Chancellor Rita Cheng said.

Sections of the library’s first floor including the rotunda room, one computer lab and the commons area near the cafe, will remain open for students Sunday through Thursday after regular library hours. All other services such as book checkout and librarian assistance will be available during the library’s regular hours, said David Carlson, dean of library affairs.

Regular library hours are 7:30 a.m. to midnight Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Fridays, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays and 1 p.m. through midnight on Sundays.

Carlson said additional library staff will not be needed and floors two through five will close at the library’s regular hours.

“The idea was for less focus on library services and more on having a safe study environment on campus,” Carlson said. “A large portion of library services are digital resources and student will have access to those.”

Sam Robinson, a graduate student in mass communication, said extended hours in the library would be more convenient for students’ busy schedules.

“I’m a non-traditonal student, and like me, lots of student have jobs and families that make it hard to find time for the library,” Robinson said.” That’s less pressure for students.”

Carlson said there will be no significant costs associated with the library’s extended hours since it does not require additional staff. He said there will be security on patrol for the extended hours.

Todd Sigler, director of the Department of Public Safety, said all costs related the schedule extension will come from DPS’s internal revenue and not from student fees.

“Students will not be impacted (by costs associated with extended hours),” Sigler said. “Internal funds will fund this project.”

Sigler said DPS will provide two patrollers from the Saluki Patrol, which is a team of campus security made up of students, to patrol the library during extended hours.

“We don’t want any problems to arise that would jeopardize this opportunity for everyone,” Sigler said. “Our patrollers will be there when the library opens and closes.”

Sigler said administration will decide whether library staff will be needed are not as the semester progresses.

“Fall is when we will see what changes, if any, need to be made,” Sigler said.

Sigler said administration will attempt to have the library open 24 hours before the fall semester begins.