Strike Observations

As more than 200 students, faculty, pets and community members circled the Stone Center and chanted, those inside could barely hear one another speak.

The student-led rally marched Wednesday from Anthony Hall to the Stone Center where the SIU Board of Trustees were meeting. University police stood on the premises to ensure the rally remained peaceful.

After rally organizers announced that all BOT members were inside the building, participants chanted “Don’t pretend were not here!” as they neared the windows where trustees members were meeting.

Some were dressed in costumes while others came out in their daily attire to support the cause.

A few students said they walked out of their classes because of poor substitutes and chanted “You’ll never know, Cheng, how much we love them!”

The rally was the third to occur this week and has less participants than Monday or Tuesday.

Chancellor Rita Cheng talks with Todd Sigler, director of public safety, Wednesday before the SIU Board of Trustees meeting at the Stone Center. Campus police have increased their presence since hundreds of students have participated in rallies across campus. Protestors stood outside and chanted during the meeting. Nathan hoefert | Daily Egyptian

A protester skates down the driveway to the Stone Center Wednesday during a rally and protest that began at Anthony Hall and ended at the Stone Center. The SIU Board of Trustees was meeting at the Stone Center for its executive session. Almost 200 protesters were present, less than Monday and Tuesday’s rally. Genna Ord | Daily Egyptian