Monorail system and metal detectors would not fix SIUC’s enrollment problem

Response to “If the university can’t party, let it be known for safety”

This letter is in response to Mr. Baggott’s guest column published in Tuesday’s Daily Egyptian. I for one completely disagree with nearly every one of your preposterous statements, and I know for a fact I am not alone in saying that.

The one aspect I do agree with is the fact that SIUC could never compare academically or athletically with such conferences as the Southeastern Conference or Ivy League schools respectfully. That, my friend, is a given.

But you truly think SIUC could get $700 million in bonds? You have got to be out of your mind. Donors are already complaining about Chris Lowery’s $700,000 per year salary. With this make-believe money you believe SIUC would obtain, do you truly think a monorail system is the way to go? Not to forget about your proposed metal detectors. Are you planning on having part of the $700 million given to hiring and training more university police to man these stations?

To have students take off their belts, jewelry or remove change before going to class is a waste of time to most. Finding parking and getting to class in time is already tough enough as it is. Also, having one entrance for students to enter campus while allowing visitors only two entrances is absolutely absurd.

There have already been countless debates regarding parking on campus with no avail. Then you, an alumnus, bring about the idea to park only at the SIU Arena — a lot that would be full by the time 9 a.m. classes start.

One statistic you included in your letter was that SIUC ranked as the 409th college or university in the U.S. in regards to safety. The fact you left out was that there are nearly 4,500 universities in the country. In stating that, SIUC is in the top 90 percent in retrospect to the rest of the nation when safety at a university is the topic of debate.

SIUC is not a high school with 1,000 students or a junior college. It is a four-year university with 20,000 students who attend class on a regular basis. All of these safety regulations you proposed are preposterous to make mandatory for all to follow. If you want enrollment to increase, there are better ways to go about it.

Paul Schmidt

junior from Springfield studying plant and soil science