Student recovering after accident

By Lauren Duncan

An SIU student is in the hospital after being struck by a car early Sunday morning in Carbondale.

The vehicle struck two pedestrians, one male and one female, at about 2 a.m. Sept. 16 at the intersection of South Wall and East Mill Streets, According to a press release posted by the Carbondale Police Department Tuesday.

The female pedestrian, Callie Heuerman, was transported to Memorial Hospital of Carbondale for serious injury treatment.

Heuerman is a junior from Teutopolis studying biological sciences, according to the university’s directory. Rev. Bob Gray, SIUC’s police chaplain, said Heuerman and her family said Tuesday that she is recovering well and would appreciate the community’s thoughts and prayers.

Police said the other pedestrian involved is not an SIU student and was not transported to the hospital.

The vehicle fled the scene after officers arrived, but police found the car and driver later, according to the press release. Police said the driver, 19-year-old Mohammed R. Almarri of Carbondale, is also a non-student.

Almarri was arrested and charged with no valid driver’s license, operating an uninsured motor vehicle and leaving the scene of a personal injury accident. He was being held at the Jackson County Jail at the time of the release.