University may receive updated liquor license

By Austin Flynn

The City Council will discuss a liquor license possibility for multiple campus locations and property acquisition for a Delaware corporation.

The university filed a request to allow the sale of beer and wine, served in a glass, at certain locations around campus, according to the council’s agenda.

SIU can already serve alcohol in conjunction with food at locations such as the Arena, the Stadium and the Student Center, but the ordinance would allow beer and wine catering at Shryock Auditorium, the Student Center, McLeod Theater, the School of Law, Morris Library, the Stone Center, the Student Health Center and the Dunn Richmond Economic Development Center with the council’s approval.

Councilwoman Corene McDaniel said the university, like any other venue that holds events with food, wants to provide the proper beverages to make event experiences more enjoyable.

“When people gather for any event, it seems as though part of the services offered is alcohol, which enhances the meal or activity that you are having,” McDaniel said. “They are certainly within their right to ask for a special license to be able to serve alcohol.”

City-owned land acquisition will also be discussed at tonight’s meeting.

An ordinance that allows the company Intertape Polymer Corporation, a business that manufactures tape and other packaging supplies, to receive the land will transfer the real estate to the company at no cost, and the city will make a non-interest bearing loan to Intertape in the amount of $194,500.

McDaniel said it would be a great opportunity to work with a Carbondale company and promote a healthy relationship with the business.

Polymer has a facility in Carbondale and would look to expand with the real estate’s acquisition.

Loan proceeds will be used for plant operations to cover equipment relocation costs to the Carbondale plant and increase the work force at the Carbondale plant.

If the land is acquired by Polymer and the facility is expanded, the work force will grow from 68 employees to 105, which would open up an additional 37 jobs within the city.

McDaniel said helping with expansion should be a priority because the move could benefit both the city and the company.

“When we have a business that wants to expand, it seems as though we should be ready to assist if at all possible, and I think that this may be one of those opportunities,” McDaniel said. “The alternative is that they go some place else, so we have to be ready to be proactive here.”