“Rally for Diversity” held for the Multicultural Resource Center

April 27, 2023

SIU’s Young Social Democrats of America (YDSA) held a rally for diversity targeted toward the Multicultural Resource Center at noon on April 19, on the campus quad.

YDSA Member Victor Ludwig said the priority should be making sure SIU is a diverse and safe space for everyone on campus, but the university is doing the contrary.

“What we’ve seen is that these spaces have constantly been undermined over the past year as coordinators are stripped from their positions at the Student Multicultural Resource Center,” Ludwig said. “We see that these spaces have become the very opposite of what they’re intended to become.”

Ludwig said he wants to make sure students know their right to seek support from campus administrators for more funding for diversity, equity, and inclusion and that SIU as a campus is actively participating in anti-racism efforts.

Vice Chancellor of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Dr. ____ Frazier offered reassurances this is not what the school is and that they are willing to collaborate with people who want to expand resources and to talk about the hiring process at the Multicultural Resource Center

“First of all, there’s a process to get people hired on this campus. I don’t necessarily like the process but it’s a long arduous process,” Frazier said. “And I encourage you, if there are things that you say that we don’t have on this campus, [let’s sit down and talk about it].”

When questioned about rumored accusations of an ongoing harassment case dealing with one of the coordinators, Frazier said the information was confidential.

When a student spoke to Frazier about being misgendered by staff and RAs on multiple occasions, he said he was hurt by the comment and if things like that are happening, they need to file a formal complaint.

“We’re dealing with a small contingency across campus. And so my door’s always open to discuss anything,” Frazier said.

He said there are 134 jobs that need to be filled across campus, agreeing with the students about probably needing additional funding for specific resources, but saying other places on campus that do have the resources can help someone in the meantime.

“There are other options you can go to that will eventually get your problem solved, or at least addressed. Maybe not solved but at least addressed,” Frazier said.