USG deliberates election, event funds

By Jessica Wettig

The University’s Undergraduate Student Government will soon elect a new finance chairperson.

Kenny Newsome, temporary USG finance chairman, and senator Adrian Miller will run for the position, which will be filled during the next meeting. The group also funded a Registered Student Organization event during it’s Thursday meeting.

Newsome said some members want to remove him from his position because they believe he lacks professionalism, he said many members do not like how he runs his meetings.

Miller said he has nothing against Newsome, but he thinks he is not the right person to lead the finance committee. Newsome was appointed to the position in August, and Miller suggested a new chair be elected for the semester’s remainder. Miller was then nominated to run as a candidate against Newsome. Although Miller said he did not want the position, he said he felt obligated to accept the nomination.

Beyond the upcoming election, USG senators heard from an RSO seeking $1,077 for a charity gaming event.

The Association for Computing Machinery presented a funds request for Saluki Land, which RSO members Steven Garton and Brian Guthrie said is a charity video game event attended each year by approximately 200 people. While attendees provide much of the equipment, RSO members said the group still needs funds to rent additional equipment.

USG approved the request.