Salukis late-inning surge falls short

Salukis late-inning surge falls short

By Jack Robinson

Despite a four-run rally in the top of the ninth inning, the SIU men’s baseball team couldn’t top its interstate rival as Eastern Illinois University took the game 11-7.

The win marked the Panthers’ first at-home victory against the Salukis since 1993, and SIU’s loss dropped the Salukis two games below a .500 winning percentage to go 9-11 on the season.

The Salukis started junior left-handed pitcher Brad Drust for the second time this season. Drust struck out two batters and allowed four runs off of four hits in two innings pitched, and his loss moves his record to 0-2. EIU started freshman right-handed pitcher Jake Johansmeier for the second time this season, and he pitched five innings while striking out five batters and allowing three runs on four hits.

SIU’s first runs came in the top of the third inning, when SIU junior infielder Jake Welch hit a fielder’s choice ball and reached first base. SIU junior catcher Matt Jones hit a home run two at-bats later with one man on base to score two runs and lead 2-1.

However, the Panthers immediately responded in the bottom of the inning.

With no outs and two runners on base, EIU sophomore infielder Brant Valach hit a single to left field to help EIU freshman infielder Mitch Gasbarro score. Drust walked Panthers senior outfielder Nick Priessman during the next at-bat to leave the bases loaded for EIU freshman infielder Demetrey Taylor. Taylor reached first base on a fielder’s choice, but EIU infielder Treysen Vavra was thrown out at home.

Drust threw a wild pitch during EIU junior catcher Jacob Reese’s at-bat and allowed Valach to score. Reese then hit a single to left field and allowed Priessman to score and take the lead 4-2.

Eastern continued its offense in the fourth inning when the Panthers scored two more runs to lead by four. The first came when Vavra hit a double to center field and scored both senior infielder Nathan Sopena and junior outfielder Trey Russell to lead 6-2.

SIU tried to come back when the score was 11-3 in the top of the ninth inning, when senior outfielder Brock Harding singled to right field to allow junior infielder Ryan Casillas to score. Senior catcher Luke Mottashed singled to the right side during the next at-bat, and senior outfielder Nick Johnson scored. Senior outfielder Rennie Troggio then singled to right field and scored both Mottashed and Harding to put the game at 11-7.

The next two Saluki batters would then ground out under the Panthers’ junior relief pitcher Joe Greenfield to finish the game.

SIU tried to overpower the Panthers, but was outmatched by EIU’s nine RBIs and 11 runs on 11 hits. The Salukis also struggled with errors as they committed four errors compared to EIU’s zero. The Panthers scored runs in five innings, whereas SIU only saw two scoring innings, which both came from home runs.

This is the Salukis’ fourth consecutive loss, which is the longest losing streak of the 2013 season for the team.

SIU will travel to Terre Haute, Ind., Friday to play a three-game weekend series against the Indiana State University Sycamores.