Student senators continue treasury consideration

By Jessica Wettig

The Undergraduate Student Government is one step closer to changing the way student organizations obtain money.

For several weeks, the group has been reviewing a 19-page student-funding guideline document submitted by Sen. Adrian Miller to implement a Department of Treasury, which would replace the Finance Committee. Sen. Cameron Shulak turned the document into an amendment during USG’s April 2 meeting, and a committee was formed for further decisions.

The committee consists of Miller, Shulak, Sen. Oliver Keys, Sen. Christopher Wheetley and Sen. Brandon Willingham. Keys said the committee hasn’t officially been formed yet, but all of the members reside on the present finance committee. The new treasury department will hold seven slots altogether including the treasurer, he said, and new policies will give Registered Student Organizations a more active role in the financing process.

The Finance Committee handles all of the funding USG provides to RSOs and campus events. The committee’s chair, who is voted in by the senators, leads the committee but isn’t specifically accountable for the funding process.

Keys said the Finance Chair’s responsibilities have essentially been to run the meetings, send emails and act as the committee’s go-to person. However, Miller said the treasurer will be the one person responsible for the committee and funding process.

“As far as I’m concerned, I think it’s a pretty good deal,” Keys said.

Shulak said he and Miller have been working on the funding document for several weeks to ensure it is as beneficial for both USG and the student body as possible.

“Over the last couple Senate meetings of the year, we hope to amend the legislation as necessary and then bring it to a vote for passage,” Shulak said.

The document contains detailed department guidelines. Many finance committee and spring allocation processes aren’t spelled out in the present guidelines, Miller said, and many problems occured as a result. Money is approved to RSOs fartoo easily, he said, which causes much of the group’s budget to go to less necessary events that benefit the least amount of students.

Money has been allocated to events that weren’t productive such as a barbecue at someone’s house, Miller said, which has left little money for larger and more productive events such as important guest speakers.

To fix the funding issue, one of the funding guideline’s suggested changes to fix the funding issue outlines a new RSO allocation process. Miller said spring allocations will be removed, and a much more structured process has been designed. Allocations will be divided into 10 periods throughout the school year, with a respective meeting for each one, he said, and organizations will be required to turn in their funding request by the end of the respective period before the event is.

RSOs will also be able to appeal if USG rejects their request, a right they have not had before, Miller said.

“I want to make sure that student money is spent in the best way it can be spent to benefit the majority of students,” he said.

All organizations deserve equal treatment, he said, but allocating funds should be weighed differently.

The final decisions on document appeals and amendment implementation were postponed until after the spring allocations process is complete, Miller said.