Salukis swept in late-season series

By Jack Robinson

After SIU allowed 21 runs in three games, the team lost three straight games this weekend to the Purdue University baseball team to move their record to 21-27. The Salukis’ away record was lowered to 7-19 on the season.

In Friday’s game, the Salukis started senior pitcher Cody Forsythe in his 12th start of the season. Forsythe allowed six runs on eight hits in six innings. The Boilermakers started senior pitcher Robert Ramer who pitched five and two thirds innings and allowed three earned runs off of 11 hits.

SIU head coach Ken Henderson said despite Forsythe’s struggles, he still had a good outing.

“Cody deserved a lot better,” Henderson said. “I think he got frustrated. He’s thrown well all year and doesn’t have much to show for it.”

In the second inning, the Boilermakers got on the board after they posted four-straight runs off of Forsythe. The first run was scored when Purdue freshman infielder Cody Strong singled to the right side and freshman designated hitter Kyle Wood scored from second base. In the next at-bat, senior infielder Kyle Bischoff hit a sacrifice bunt to score freshman outfielder Kyle Johnson and take a 2-0 lead. Two pitches later, sophomore Brandon Krieg hit a home run to left field and scored two runs to lead 4-0 over the Salukis.

After Bischoff scored an unearned run in the bottom of the fourth to lead 5-0, the Salukis added their first run when junior infielder Jake Welch beat out a single to third base and senior outfielder Nick Johnson scored from third base.

Purdue’s freshman catcher Josh Estill scored the Boilermakers’ sixth run of the game in the bottom of the fifth.

After a two-run sixth inning the score was 6-3, and SIU senior outfielder Nick Johnson grabbed his first RBI of the game in the top of the ninth to put the Salukis within two. Purdue freshman pitcher Mike Lutz came in the ninth inning and forced two SIU outs before senior pitcher Brett Andrzejewski struck out SIU junior designated hitter Cody Daily to end the game 6-4.

Henderson said the Salukis gave the Boilermakers too many chances during the game.

“We gave them extra outs in the second inning because we didn’t make a couple routine plays,” he said. “If you give any team that many outs, they’re going to score.”

The Salukis started sophomore pitcher Sam Coonrod on Saturday against Purdue freshman pitcher Jordan Minch. Coonrod pitched seven innings, struck out eight batters and allowed three runs on six hits.

“Sam threw well,” Henderson said. “He kept us in the game and did a good job. He was a little erratic early, but he figured it out and started pounding the zone the last three or four innings.”

After Purdue junior outfielder Conner Hudnall scored in the first inning to attain the early lead, the Salukis scored three runs in the top of the fifth inning to lead 3-1.

The Boilermakers responded with two runs of their own in the bottom of the fifth inning to tie the game 3-3. Estill singled up the middle to score both Hudnall and junior infielder Sean McHugh. In the bottom of the seventh, Estill doubled to left center and Wood scored.

SIU junior pitcher Matt Murphy threw his second wild pitch of the inning and Strong scored to lead 5-3 over SIU in the bottom of the eighth. Purdue junior pitcher Brad Schreiber wrapped up the game when he struck out three-straight SIU batters to win the game 5-3.

Henderson said it was tough to come within a run of the Boilermakers to only give away one run.

“We had a one-run game in the eighth,” he said, “and we let them score a run without putting a bat on a ball. They didn’t even have to make contact.”

In Sunday’s high-scoring game, SIU started junior pitcher Derek Fogel who allowed seven runs from eight hits and walked one batter in one and one third innings pitched. Purdue started freshman pitcher Kyle Wood who pitched four innings and allowed four runs from five hits.

The Boilermakers struck first when they scored seven runs in the first two innings against the Salukis. The first run was scored when Estill hit a single to score freshman outfielder Jack Amaro. Two batters later, Purdue freshman pitcher Kyle Johnson singled to center field and Estill scored the game’s second run.

In the bottom of the second inning, Strong, Krieg, Amaro, Wood and senior infielder Jake Hansen all scored for the Boilermakers to lead 7-0 over SIU after the second inning.

The Salukis came within four runs after they posted three runs in the top of the third inning. The first runs came when Montgomery doubled to left center and scored both Troggio and junior catcher Matt Jones. The next batter, junior infielder Ryan Casillas, singled to right center and Montgomery scored from second base to make the score 7-3.

In the top of the fifth inning, Troggio and Jones scored the Salukis’ final runs to come within two of the Boilermakers.

After a three-run sixth inning by Purdue, the Boilermakers’ Andrzejewski won the game after he pitched four scoreless innings and struck out three batters in a relief appearance to win his first game of the season.

The Salukis travel Friday to Peoria, Ill., to play a three-game series against Bradley University. The first game starts 6 p.m. at Peoria Chiefs Stadium.

Jack Robinson can be reached at [email protected] or 536-3311 ext.269