Second positive COVID-19 case reported in Jackson County

By Kallie Cox, News Editor

Update 3/28: A second individual in the same residence hall as the first student has tested positive for COVID-19.

Update: The individual has been identified as a resident of SIU’s West Campus housing. 

A second individual in Jackson County tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday.

The individual is a male in his late teens and is under a home quarantine order until he can no longer transmit the virus, according to a release from the Jackson County Health Department. 

The individual is thought to have been exposed to the novel coronavirus through recent travel to the Chicago area, according to the release. 

Public health officials have launched an investigation into his case and are contacting anyone who may have had contact with him while he was contagious. 

The number of COVID-19 cases in the state has risen to 2,538 and there have been 26 COVID-19 related deaths in Illinois since the start of the pandemic. 

“We can expect more cases to be confirmed locally, as the number of tests being conducted is increasing,” The release said. “The number of cases can be reduced by adhering to the Governor’s stay at home order, washing hands frequently, disinfecting commonly touched surfaces and maintaining space away from others when in public.”

Southern Illinois Healthcare (SIH) has established a 24-hour COVID-19 hotline that can be reached at 1-844-988-7800.

News Editor Kallie Cox can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @KallieECox.