Youth out-Fox Tres Hombres

Youth out-Fox Tres Hombres

By Kyle Sutton

Guitarist Nathan Gill of Carterville has 10 years of experience studying classic rock and mastering his instrument; but he still has to have his parents with him at the bar.

The 16-year-old Gill took the Tres Hombres stage along with the rest of Mr. Swamp Fox Saturday evening for a four-set show. Gill said he began playing when he was six years old and his inspirations have deep roots in rock and blues.

“I grew up on classic rock but when I was seven I started listening to blues music, like B.B. King and Buddy Guy,” Gill said. “I started digging deeper and listening to older blues musicians like Howlin’ Wolf and Muddy Waters.”

The three-year-old band is comprised of guitarists Gill and Wade Keel, 15, of Herrin, bass player Tyler Cornelius, 14, of Herrin and drummer Brandon Gill, 13, of Carterville. Nathan Gill and Keel, who also contribute vocals for the band, switch with ease between rhythm and lead, each taking turns guiding the audience through songs with intricate solos.

Nathan and Brandon’s father, Carbondale police officer Jeff Gill, said he first saw potential when Nathan was six and he began taking lessons with his son. Jeff Gill said his son quickly surpassed him in guitar lessons.

“I introduced him to as much music as I could, and not only the music but the people who play the music as well,” Jeff Gill said. “We went to as many concerts as we could and (Nathan) would just sit there and study.”

Jeff Gill said with a little bit of luck Nathan was able to meet some of his favorite artists throughout his childhood like Buddy Guy, B.B. King and Jack White, formerly of The White Stripes. In one of these meetings, Nathan Gill, an 11-year-old at the time, was invited on stage in Champaign by Guy to showcase his talents. After Nathan let his soul pour through his fingertips and played detailed blues fills, Guy looked in amazement at the talented young kid from southern Illinois as the audience burst into applause.

Throughout the night the band played a wide variety of songs, covering tunes by the likes of Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix, Sublime, and The Band. The unique sound of Jimi Hendrix guitar rifts hovered over the crowd making a big enough impact to have one think the legend himself was standing at the front.

Mr. Swamp Fox also showcased some of the songs off their new album, “On Lilac Lane.” The songs are rooted in blues but with more of an upbeat tempo comparable to punk rock, very similar to the sound of one of Nathan Gill’s favorite bands, The White Stripes.

This was the band’s third time playing at Tres Hombres and they now have a once-a-month gig at the bar.