Women notch first win of season

Sophomore guard Cartaesha Macklin sank a free throw with .5 seconds left in the game to give the SIU women’s basketball team it first victory of the season in a 58-57 win over Southeast Missouri State.

Sophomore guard Cartaesha Macklin, left, and freshman guard Rishonda Napier dive for a loose ball Wednesday as the Salukis take on Southeast Missouri State University at SIU Arena. SIU trailed SEMO for most of the game until Napier hit a 2-pointer to tie the score at 57 with nine seconds on the clock. Macklin stole the ball and was fouled with one second on the clock and hit one of her two free-throws giving the Salukis their first victory of the season with a final score of 58-57. SIU will play Marshall University at 12:05 p.m. Saturday at SIU Arena. Sarah Gardner | THE WEEKENDER

After being down 57-53 with 17 seconds left, Macklin was fouled and hit two free throws to cut the SEMO (4-5) lead to two.

Redshirt freshman forward Azia Washington

then took the ball from the Redhawks before they could make to the half court line. Freshman guard Rishonda Napier hit a jump shot from 10 feet out to tie the game with nine seconds left.

The defensive half court press produced a second- straight turnover for the Salukis (1-6) as Macklin stole the ball and was then immediately fouled, sending her to the line for two shots.

She made the first shot, but she missed the second. SEMO rebounded the ball, but .5 seconds was not enough for the Redhawks to even put up

a shot. Macklin’s winning free throw capped off a wild

back-and-forth second half in the first meeting between the teams since Nov. 2005.

After trailing 27-22 at the half, SEMO came back and hit 13 of 31 field goals in the second. The Redhawks took the lead with 2:00 left in the game, but a lack of ball control ultimately put the game in SIU’s reach.

The Salukis were directed by freshman Rishonda Napier, who started at point guard for the first time

since Nov. 23, when the played against Radford at the University of Miami Thanksgiving Tournament. Napier played all 40 minutes of the game while

scoring 11 points and adding three assists. Washington led the team with 14 points and chipped in nine rebounds. Redshirt freshman forward Dyana Pierre who has been on rebounding hot streak of late, pulled down 12 boards along with

her six points. The women’s basketball team will return to action

12:05 Saturday against Marshall at SIU Arena.