Women bring more than service to the table

A surprising but welcome change began to take place within the U.S. military earlier this month.

Since 1994, there has been a military policy that prevents female soldiers from actively participating in ground combat overseas. In reality, women have been involved this way in both the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns.

The debate over whether women should be allowed in ground combat military positions is longstanding, but it seems as though the female soilders’ road blockades will be lifted very soon.

I think including women in combat will offer significant resources to the American military.

Military recruiters in the past several years have become increasingly desperate as service volunteers have dwindled, but the shortage can be significantly alleviated by allowing female soldiers into combat.

If our military stops overlooking the vast potential, abilities, and talents available

within the female population, it will be able to grow and diversify in previously unfeasible ways.

However, I disagree that this decision is an anti-feminist versus feminist issue as many have suggested over the past several years. Rather, I think it is a lack of common sense.

If Americans refuse to completely and effectively use our resources, they cannot expect to be completely effective on the battlefield.

Allowing women to pursue combat roles is synonymous to allowing our military to progress and tactically improve overseas,

ensuring enhanced protection and increased global presence for our nation.

Female soldiers, along with their contributions and heroism, are often overlooked by the general public. It seems as though the image that comes to mind when we think a bout a soldier is a heterosexual white male.

The possibilities of military tactic and effectiveness are rapidly expanding now that the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and women in combat debates are coming to an end. By opening combat roles to all individuals, the military is diminishing social barriers that detrimentally

prevented us from advancing as a nation. Though I support the decision to allow women into combat roles, I agree there are risks involved with female integration other than the obvious possibility of increased

female soldier deaths. Training will have to teach both men and

women soldiers to focus on each mission’s objective, and not one another. If some men feel instinctually protective of women, it could pose a problem. Any frontlines distractions could lead to a devastating battle outcome .

Also, the chances of intimate relationships forming on the battlefield drastically increase if the sexes cohabitate in combat units. This could lead to several problems, such as increased distraction in looking out for one’s partner and the possibility of pregnancy in a combat zone.

As with most changes, there will be challenges to face. But in a nation as strong as ours, obstacles are only a small inconvenience in the path to success.

Casi Morgan, guest coulmnist