Team wins SIUE tournament

Freshman wins individual title by two strokes

The women’s golf team won the SIUE Doubletree Intercollegiate tournament for the second year in a row.

Freshman golfer Amy Lee lines up a put Friday at Hickory Ridge Golf Course in Carbondale to prepare for the SIUE Doubletree Intercollegiate, held Monday and Tuesday at Edwardsville. Lee and the women’s golf team dominated the tournament for the second year in a row and took both the individual and team titles. Lee won the individual title by two strokes. Women’s golf coach Alexis Mihelich said after Friday’s practice that Lee will be able to break through as soon as she gets more calm and figures out her game. “She’s not there yet, but she’s on the rise,” Mihelich said. Lee’s win was her first career title in three tries.
Chris Zoeller | Daily Egyptian

The five Salukis who went to the tournament placed in the top 16, which helped the team win by 21 strokes. The team shot 10 strokes better than second-place Lipscomb University in both rounds and beat the tournament’s two MVC teams, University of Evansville and Creighton University, by 45 and 46 strokes respectively.

SIU finished 65 over par at the 36-hole Sunset Hills Country Club in Edwardsville.

Not only did the Salukis beat all nine teams, freshman Amy Lee took the individual title by two strokes with 79 in the first round and a career-best 75 in the second in her third collegiate tournament.

Junior Cassie Rushing finished third, just four shots behind Lee while junior Ashleigh Rushing, and senior Shaina Rennegarbe tied for ninth and freshman Mattie Lindner tied with Ashton Stair from SIUE for 16th place.

The team will take a two-week break until the Austin Peay State University Intercollegiate Tournament Oct.15-16 in Clarksville, Tenn.