Vietnam Wall comes to SIU

By Storey Mayer

In 1982, three known graduates of the Air Force ROTC program at SIU had their names engraved into the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. to honor their service and sacrifice for their country.

A replica of the wall will be on display on the SIU practice football field Sept. 11-14 in remembrance of the Vietnam veterans.

Paul Copeland, coordinator of veteran services and chairman of volunteer subcommittee, said SIU was chosen as the venue for the event because of their veteran friendly reputation.

“The athletic department has a recurring series of veteran friendly events,” Copeland said. “So it has formed this sort of implicit relationship between the university and the veteran community.”

The highlight of the event is the American Veterans Traveling Tribute (AVTT) Traveling Vietnam Wall. The replica features the same engraved names of the fallen soldiers. By pressing a piece of paper to the wall and shading over it, the names can be “rubbed” onto the paper and transformed into a keepsake just as the wall in D.C. Mirroring the original design, people can actually see themselves reflected in the replica of the wall. It is an 80 percent replica, 360 feet long and eight feet tall at the apex.

Tom Goetz, a retired volunteer community organizer for the wounded warrior and veteran events in southern Illinois, said the event has multiple purposes. Not only is it sentimental, but educational and a time for the community to gather, as well.

“It provides an opportunity for people who wouldn’t otherwise be able to visit the memorial to commemorate, remember, and pause to acknowledge the sacrifices,” Copeland said. “It will keep the memory of the Vietnam War viable in the minds of the population.”

The four-day event will include many exhibits throughout campus. The university museum, library and student veterans will all host displays.

It begins on Sept. 10 as the wall nears its destination. It will be escorted in from Anna by police cars, fire trucks, motorcycle clubs and military vehicles. That evening, there will be a reception for donors and contributors.

Thursday, Sept. 11, the wall will be completely set up and ready for visitation. A ceremony will commence the opening of the wall with the color guard, rifle squads, bagpipes and speakers. After the ceremony, the wall will officially be open for free visitation 24 hours a day for remainder of the event.

“I think it will be the largest event on SIU’s campus in 2014-15 other than graduation” Goetz said. “It may even be larger because there are sure to be thousands of people.”

The event is run by volunteers and funded by donations. Anyone is able to volunteer his or her time.

Mark Cosgrove, Senior Vice Commandant for Shawnee detachment 812 and chairperson of Vietnam Wall committee, said there would be volunteers 24/7.

“The community is really helping us out to make this a first class event,” Cosgrove said. “There will be volunteers standing watch or helping people find names on the wall the whole time.”

The athletic department and chancellor allowed the annual Military Appreciation football game to be moved from the arranged time in November so it could be in correlation with the wall and the event. Veterans will get into the game free and their families will receive tickets half price.

A tailgate occurs before the game as well. There will be free food before the game and resources for veterans. Copeland said it provides an opportunity to gather, learn, meet other veterans and attend an SIU football game.

“We are now playing SEMO, so that will certainly enhance both the football game and the memorial,” Goetz said. “They were on board 100 percent and even formed a committee to help get the word out and boost funds, so we know they will bring a lot of people.”

Firemen and veterans will carry a 60-by-100 flag onto the field, and the Associated Firefighters of Illinois will give a car away to a wounded Afghanistan veteran.

“All of these things coming together for one weekend was targeted,” Copeland said. “We wanted people to have the opportunity to see the memorial, attend the football game, see the exhibits and take advantage of the tailgate all in a one stop shot.”

The goal amount to be raised is $50,000. All of the proceeds will be distributed to veteran organizations.

“We have gotten major sponsors, but we still haven’t reached the goal yet,” Cosgrove said. “We still need people to donate and volunteer.”

For more information on the event, to donate, or to volunteer call Tom Goetz at 618-697-1227 or Mark Cosgrove at 618-967-9462.

“Basically we brought the wall to the campus in acknowledgment of the 58,000 names engraved on it,” Goetz said. “Those aren’t just simply friends or names on that wall, for us veterans – they are brothers.”