USG introduces Saluki 411

By Marissa Novel

The Undergraduate Student Government proposed several new initiatives, voted on 14 Registered Student Organizations funding requests and appointed six senators at its meeting Tuesday.

President Cameron Shulak said USG is working on a web portal for student services, town hall meetings and programming for speaking events.

Shulak said the new web portal, Saluki 411, is going to help students locate resources across campus. He said it is still in early development and its goal is to be established by the end of the fall semester.

“All of it is going to be USG designed and run,” Shulak said. “As the process goes on, the only time the university will be involved will be for technological developments.”

The student government allocated $1,500 from student funding for Adam Ritz, a frequent speaker to professional and collegiate athletic teams, to visit the university and discuss topics such as sexual assault, alcohol, drugs and violence on Oct. 27.

Shulak said the event would hopefully change collegiate cultural habits in response to recent violent incidents on campus. He said the total cost of the event would be $45,000.

The first town hall meeting, designed to connect students, USG senators and administrators, will be held at 5 p.m., Oct. 28 in Student Center Ballroom B.

More than 14 members of administration have been invited, such as interim Provost Susan Ford, Director of Housing Jon Shaffer and Director of Student Health Services Ted Grace.

RSOs requested more than $26,000 for events occurring Jan 1., through March 15. The senate allocated about $17,000, resulting in a surplus of more than $5,000, Treasurer Nick Roberts said.

Three new RSOs were approved at the meeting: the Fiat Club, Students Today Leaders Forever and Real Talk.

Fiat Club is dedicated to Latino cultural awareness and wants to form a fraternity in the future.

Students Today Leaders Forever is a national nonprofit organization that tours U.S. cities while providing community service.

Real Talk discusses male and female dominance in professional spaces and gender and race across cultures.

Chief of Staff Shantel Franklin said USG still has 12 available seats.

“The seats are constantly changing,” she said. “We have 30 senators who are on board but some will be transitioning out. It will continue to vary until we have a solid senate seating.”

The next USG meeting will be 6 p.m. Oct. 7 at in the Student Health Center Auditorium.

Marissa Novel can be reached at [email protected]on Twitter @marissanovelDE or at 536-3311 ext. 268.