USG delays student media fee proposal

By Robert Olson

Several organizations came to Tuesday’s Undergraduate Student Government meeting in search of funding.

Representatives for Springfest, Zeta Phi Beta, and the Daily Egyptian all spoke about various financial allocations they hoped would be granted.

The Senate also recognized the SIUC Physical Therapist Assistants and FIERCE Musical Theater as RSOs.

Springfest allocations and Student Media Fee amendment votes were tabled until the Nov. 12 meeting. Zeta Phi Beta was given $2,060 after a debate over how to amend the bill in order to decide how the money would be distributed.

Macklin Andrick was invited before the Senate to review how Springfest 2013, sponsored by Student Programming Services, was.

Andrick said Registered Student Organizations like American Marketing Association and Public Relations Student Society of America benefit from an event like this because they would have a hand in helping Student Programing Council create a marketing and awareness campaign for Springfest.

Representatives from those organizations said SIU has a reputation of being a divided campus and Springfest could be the event that brings the student population together.

The ultimate decision over whether or not to allocate the proposed $45,000 to Springfest was tabled until the Nov. 12 meeting.

An amendment that would raise the proposed student media fee $5 to combat rising deficits in the Daily Egyptian’s budget was brought before the Senate.

USG President Adrian Miller spoke in favor of finding a resolution to the Student Media Fee.

“Student media is critical to our campus, it’s critical for those who want to have a career in media,” he said.

In the original bill passed in August 2013, the USG recommended creating a Student Media Fee of $6. The proposed amendment would increase the fee to $11 for students; 10 of those dollars would go toward slashing the Daily Egyptian deficit. The other dollar would fund WIDB and SPC TV.

During Miller’s report he invited Kayli Plotner, Editor-in-Chief for the Daily Egyptian, to speak to the Senate to give more information as to how this increase will help the Daily Egyptian battle costs.

“I’m not asking you to fix the DE’s problems,” Plotner said. “I’m just asking you to help resolve an issue that started long before any of us even thought of going to college.”

SIUC is one of the few remaining universities that does not give their student-run newspaper financial support from the student body. Advertising is the primary source of income for the Daily Egyptian, Plotner said.

Advertising revenue covers the entire payroll of more than fifty employees at the Daily Egyptian. SIU-Edwardsville’s publication, in comparison, receives a student fee of $7.80 but is only published once a week.

There are those who oppose the amendment at this point. Some senators have cited not having enough time to gather more information and get the opinions of their constituents as reasons for tabling the measure.

Steven Smith was inducted as a Senator for the college of education Tuesday. He said while this may seem like a small increase, the amendment has a lasting effect on many students and the amount that they pay to attend SIU and the matter should be taken seriously.

Director of the School of Journalism, William Freivogel, said going all digital would be unrealistic because the in-print advertising brings in most of the revenue and professional staff is important to the quality of the newspaper and the teaching experience.

The proposed amendment will be voted on in the coming weeks. If passed, the bill will be sent to Chancellor Rita Cheng who will then consider the recommendation.

The next USG meeting will be Nov. 12 at 6 p.m.