University interperets concealed carry laws

By Stephanie Danner

The statewide conceal carry law that was passed in June, has restrictions for all schools throughout the state, including universities.

Concealed firearms will not be allowed on campus even with the new law in place. The campus police along with the university are working on a policy to interpret the law.

Illinois is the last of the 50 states to adopt a concealed carry law. Illinois adopted the concealed carry law in June and Illinois State Police must make concealed carry license applications available to the public within 180 days after July 9.

Sargent Amber Ronketto, from the Carbondale Police Department said although the law passed in June, it will not come into effect until sometime next year. The Carbondale police won’t make any jurisdictions regarding the law until the governor makes it official.

But the officials on campus are working to interpret the law at the university level. Lieutenant Harold Tucker, from Murphysboro, said the laws that apply to a non-concealed weapon will still be in place and the new law will only add to the already standing law.

When someone has a firearm and they want to keep it on campus, they can check it in at the campus police station if they own the firearm and a FOID card.

“Many students bring firearms and bows but they store them at a central location” Tucker said, “ You can’t keep it in your dorm room or drive around with it in the back of your truck.”

The law for transporting weapons states a firearm may be transferred if it is in a case and the ammunition and the firearm are separated. The law for transporting weapons will remain the same after concealed carry goes into effect with the exception of students who want to keep them in their cars when they come to the university. These students will have to park in a designated area not yet determined, said University President Glenn Poshard.

The university is working to form a policy for the new law that will be in the best interest of the university and the students, said Poshard. The Carbondale Police will not do anything until the governor signs something, said Ronketto.

“We will work close with representative Bandon Phelps and the attorney generals office so the law will be implemented in a way that it was meant to be when it was passed in June,” said Poshard.