University Housing at capacity for fall semester

By Matt Ferguson

Incoming freshman might find their rooms a bit cramped this year.

University Housing locations are experiencing a large amount of students to accommodate this fall, causing student housing to reach maximum capacity.

Chancellor Rita Cheng said space for new students will be limited at least for the beginning of the semester, but this is good news for the university.

“We have been working on enrollment for a long time and we have the largest freshman class in recent history,” she said. “We are going to be full, I would not say we will be overcrowded. I do know that we will be at 100 percent capacity.”

Crystal Bouhl, assistant director of University Housing, said there is a small amount of space due to older housing being torn down and the number of new students exceeding expectations.

“This increase in new students, in addition to the removal of the three Triad residence halls last year, has created a need for additional space,” Bouhl said. “Some students will move into over-assigned spaces this year.”

Bouhl said the over-assigned rooms will serve as temporary residences until space becomes available throughout the fall semester. She said students who live in these rooms will receive a discount on residence fees.

Cheng said other methods have been used to make space, such as putting students who applied for a single bedroom after July 1 with a roommate, as well as using Evergreen Terrace for temporary housing.

While space may be limited, Lisa Marks, senior associate director of University Housing, said the housing staff is prepared for the large amount of students this year.

“Our staff are well trained and prepared for the increased number of students in the halls,” she said. “All students will continue to have access to the many resources and programs offered throughout University Housing.”

Bouhl also said she thinks the housing staff is ready to meet the challenge.

“We are optimistic that the university will continue to experience an increase in freshman students and we will plan accordingly,” she said. “Over-assigned housing is an industry norm, so it will continue to be included in plans for the future. We will explore our options while focusing on providing the best program possible.”

While the administration adjusts to the housing changes, students are forced to do so as well.

Marquita Winston, a sophomore from St. Louis studying political science, said she thinks the tighter space might lead to more fights and cause roommates who have problems with each other to have fewer options on how to handle their situation.

“I have to wait and see until everyone gets down here to see what it’s really going to be like,” she said.

Mario Pantaleo, a junior from Joliet studying aviation technology, said the housing over-assignment could lead to problems such as trouble in the case of a disaster, such as a fire.

Despite the possible problems, Pantaleo said he likes the idea of having university housing maxed out.

“It’s good that they’re going to have a lot of kids and fill the dorms nicely,” he said. “It should be good for the school.”