Twins make transition to SIU tennis

By Symone Woolridge

Although the Cairo Baza tennis twins miss their home and family in Spain, they continue to go strong in preparation for this season.

Gisela and Ariadna are juniors from Barcelona, both with majors under the College of Science. Last season Gisela won 14 out of 16 singles matches, while Ariadna went 18-10 in the overall singles competition.

SIU was one of the first schools that offered both Gisela and Ariadna a tennis scholarship. The two refused to accept an offer that did not include their most important condition— either both of them, or none of them.

Arriving from Spain to the United States, the twins said they experienced a huge culture shock. The two transitioned from eating lunch at 4 p.m. and dinner at 9 p.m. to eating three hours earlier in the United States.

Gisela said transitioning has become an emotional change, but having her sister here has helped tremendously.

“We really miss our family, but we do speak to them about three times a day on the phone or Skype,” she said. “Having my sister here definitely helps.”

Not only has a cultural and environmental difference affected their personal life —sports differences have led the twins to switch up their game, Ariadna said.

Ariadna said doubles games are not played in Spain; athletes only compete in singles matches. Both have been practicing their game everyday this off-season.

“In Spain we only play singles matches, but playing here is easier because I get to play with my sister,” Ariadna said. “We know each others’ game, so we do not have to tell each other what to do.”

Over the last few years, Coach Audra Anderson said the twins have gradually improved in their doubles game.

“Since they never played doubles until they got here, it has taken them a while to improve in that part of their game,” Anderson said. “But now that they’re juniors, they have a very solid doubles game.”

As much as the twins are used to playing together as a team, Anderson said they are excellent together on and off of the court.

“They’re some of the hardest workers on our team,” Anderson said. “They’re also some of the most dedicated athletes that I have ever had.”

During the off-season, the twins have dedicated themselves to conditioning workouts.

Former teammate Anastacia Simons said the twins are fierce competitors.

“Ari and Gisela are very dedicated and hard working,” Simons said. “In matches or any other events they never give up.”

Simons is now a senior coach assistant, and she believes the twins can make a very big impact this year.

“The experience that they have on the team will benefit them this season,” Simons said. “They have been working on different things during the off-season, and they can apply them to the matches this year.”

Gisela and Ariadna have been out on the courts everyday of the off-season.

“We practice when we don’t have to,” Ariadna said. “All summer we have been working on our volleys for doubles while conditioning.”

Anderson said the twins are very good role models, and are the epitome of what a student athlete should be.

Gisela said doing the extra work off of the court coincides with working hard on the court and as a leader.

“Veterans take more of a leadership role on the team,” she said. “This year, I think Ariadna and I can become leaders because we have a lot of experience.”

This year the women’s tennis team will have a total of four new freshmen on the team, and Anderson expects this season to be just as good as the last.

Individually, the twins are expecting improvements in their game to show this year.

“There is always something in my game to improve on, and I know that I can be better in many different ways,” Gisela said.