Track team hopes to set the pace at Pacesetter quad meet

The SIU track and field team will face conference foe Indiana State University, as well as the University of Milwaukee-Wisconsin and Butler University, in the Indiana State Pacesetter today and Saturday in Terra Haute, Ind.

Competition begins with throwing events, where the Salukis return after a strong performance against Illinois State University, led by All-American Jeneva McCall.

Senior runner Stephen Arvanis stretches Tuesday at the J.D. Fields Memorial Stadium in Carbondale. Arvanis, along with other members of the track and field team, was preparing for the weekend’s meet in Terre Haute, Ind. The Salukis will compete today and Saturday against Indiana State University and the University of Milwaukee-Wisconsin. jessica tezak | Daily Egyptian

McCall earned MVC Player of the Week honors Wednesday after Saturday’s dominant performance against the Redbirds, where she finished first in the discus, hammer and
weight throw.

Although she competed well, McCall said she did not feel completely warmed up before the meet.

“We got off the bus and we had (only) 45 minutes to warm-up and throw,” McCall said. “I don’t think my body was up at that time; that’s why during the course of the day my throws became further.”

Throwing coach John Smith said during this part of the season his throwers are only lifting once a week. Smith said he expects his young throwers, such as freshmen DeAnna Price, Ashley Gaston and Curtis Wideman, to continue to put up personal bests. He said his training allows his throwers to be at their peak during the later
season meets.

“We’ve got a lot of good stuff happening, and now the weight training will start to come down a bit and people will start feeling stronger and better,” Smith said.

“That’s what training is all about; you train hard and when you get closer to big meets you start cutting things back and people start throwing further.”

The throwing events precede the men and women’s long jump, where senior Malaikah Love comes off a victory against the Redbirds. Friday ends with the men and women’s steeplechase and the
5,000-meter run.

The Pacesetter will kick off with women’s discus throw and the pole vault. Sophomore Kenya Culmer leads the Salukis in the high jump after a win against the Redbirds.

The men’s discus follows the previous events at 12:30 p.m. Wideman said he has practiced to improve his technique.

“I’m just going to keep working to get better every meet. I always set myself for high expectations so I just want to meet (those) expectations,” he said.

Also at 12:30 p.m. is the men and women’s 4 x 100 meter relay, followed by the 1,500-meter run. The Salukis’ sprinters burst into action at 1:30 p.m. for the 400-meter dash, directly followed by the 100-meter dash and the javelin throw. The event concludes with the men’s and women’s 4 X 400 meter relay.

About Akeem Glaspie

My name is Akeem Glaspie. I'm a senior Journalism major with a minor in Creative Writing. I was born in Orlando, Fla., and moved to Elgin, Ill when I was two. I'm a big sports fan who enjoys watching football, basketball and baseball. When I'm not watching sports I'm probably playing video games with friends.